• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Change EL84 from Triode to Ultra linear

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently built this amp. Great sound but it's a little low on output power.

The opt's i use have primary windings of 2.5, 3.5 and 4.5 Kohm. Now i only use the 4.5 K one. Would it be possible to use one of these windings for the ultra linear tab? If so, I suppose the 2.5K would be the best option? And do i need to make changes to the design or is removing the 100K resistor and connecting the ul tab instead?

Thanks,
Rob

Attachments

• el84sexun_jpg.jpg
    el84sexun_jpg.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 953
the sound quality will vanish! ... I dislike U/L intensely

I thought so, too. Until I attached my EL84 amplifier to my Triangle Acoustics loudspeakers. These speakers much prefer Pentode connection. Even UL sounds much better than Triode mode. I originally built the amplifier to operate in Triode mode. I thought it sounded good. When I experimented and moved the connection to UL or Pentode mode, the sound greatly improved.

I learned some lessons:

1. I believed the common wisdom that Triode mode was always better. I'm glad I experimented with UL and Pentode modes, because it proved the hypothesis was wrong.
2. I'm glad I experimented with the other modes, because it greatly improved both the amplifier's sound and my knowledge.
3. Common wisdom philosophies are commonly wrong ... "only such-and-such configuration is best" ... or "single-ended amplifiers always are superior to push-pull amplifiers".
4. Experience teaches us to disregard these types of common wisdom, and experiment with configurations that mainstream audiophiles reject.

I thought so, too. Until I attached my EL84 amplifier to my Triangle Acoustics loudspeakers. These speakers much prefer Pentode connection. Even UL sounds much better than Triode mode. I originally built the amplifier to operate in Triode mode. I thought it sounded good. When I experimented and moved the connection to UL or Pentode mode, the sound greatly improved.

I learned some lessons:

1. I believed the common wisdom that Triode mode was always better. I'm glad I experimented with UL and Pentode modes, because it proved the hypothesis was wrong.
2. I'm glad I experimented with the other modes, because it greatly improved both the amplifier's sound and my knowledge.
3. Common wisdom philosophies are commonly wrong ... "only such-and-such configuration is best" ... or "single-ended amplifiers always are superior to push-pull amplifiers".
4. Experience teaches us to disregard these types of common wisdom, and experiment with configurations that mainstream audiophiles reject.

This post is right on target. One size DOES NOT fit all. Synergy between various elements in the playback chain is what we are searching for.

I learned some lessons:

To read this is like good music to my ears.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.