Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th February 2010, 01:20 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Too good to be true???

I found this while perusing the eBay tube amplifier search results:
(FreeShipping)X3 EL34 ClassA Tube Integrated amplifiers - eBay (item 260546765006 end time Feb-10-10 18:30:26 PST)

Now, this is claimed to be a Push Pull stereo amp. It has left and right inputs and outputs but.....only one power tube per side I assume (maybe they are hiding the other 2 somewhere else) Also claimed to have 20+ watts per channel. Price $268 with free shipping from Hong Kong.

If this is a stereo amp, which it appears to be than it cannot be push pull and if it is not push pull than I doubt very much with a 6N2 driver that it has 20+ watts per channel.

For $268 it still might not be a bad deal, b/c s/h is free but, buyer beware.....I don't think this is what it is made out to be.
Jeff
Old 11th February 2010, 02:57 AM   #2
taj is offline taj
diyAudio Member

There's ALWAYS a gotcha with Hong Kong vendors. In this case I guess each output tube is pushing and pulling all by itself. Free shipping is 5 - 9 *weeks* (surface). Be afraid.

In this case, I think it's probably just the description that's suspect, though I wouldn't trust the vendor -- even a little.

The real push-pull EL34 amp is in their eBay store for $360. Still a good deal considering how nice they look. But I wonder if it's a Chinese knock-off of a Chinese amp. What a gratifying thought.

..Todd
Old 11th February 2010, 08:36 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

If the amp does not arrive at your place after 9 weeks you lost all your money as you are not eligible for Paypal buyer protection, beware. (You must open a dispute within 45 days after date of purchase)
Old 11th February 2010, 07:03 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

This is the new Mengyue Mini that was mentioned in another thread, and at the time I disputed the power claim.
It's also offered direct from HK here:
MENG "X3 EL34" Integrated Amplifier - EL34 Tube Amp @ on9mart.com

It's clearly a SE stereo amp. Based on previous experience with Mengyue (I have a 6P1 Mini), their power claims are double that of reality. My Mini is claimed at 10W x 2, in fact it gets about 6W x 2 before clipping at best.

They are actually reasonable amps for the price, so long as you take the above into account. They are a good platform for some mods, but they will never be more than mid-fi as far as tube amps go. You can build better easier, but not cheaper. That is the bottom line for a lot of people, myself included.

A point in their favor is that they seem to have been making amps for a few years now, so they are not just a one night stand.

Gary
Old 11th February 2010, 07:21 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taj View Post
Free shipping is 5 - 9 *weeks* (surface). Be afraid.

..Todd
Surface shipping is very suspect. I thought surface shipping disappeared years ago. The slowest ship option over 4# is 6-10 days.
Old 11th February 2010, 07:36 PM   #6
piero7 is offline piero7  Italy
diyAudio Member

forget surface shipping
Old 11th February 2010, 08:02 PM   #7
tomlang is online now tomlang  United States
diyAudio Member

You know those containers of stuff from China. The ones that come by ship and then hook up to semi-trucks. That is surface shipping. Your package is placed in one of the containers and it doesn't leave China until it is completely filled (which might take awhile).

Then it comes by Slow Boat, gets offloaded somewhere like Long Beach, then mixes with the US mail....
Old 11th February 2010, 08:18 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Well I never had any intentions of buying one, just thought I would put it out there for others to poke at.

I don't buy manufactured amps anymore, too much fun in building them yourself. Well, I will buy a nice Scott or similar every now and then to restore, but that is about it.

It is pretty nice looking though isn't it!
Jeff
Old 12th February 2010, 01:10 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Looks like it is a shipping company I heard about that bought surplus amps directly from manufacturers helping them to clean warehouses, when market collapsed.
Old 9th May 2010, 04:47 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to kyleaudio
i hate to bring this back up, but i just found an ebay store selling these for $259.00 with free 3-7 day AIR mail! this would be a good deal for someone looking for a nice looking cheap amp to toy around with.

MENG X3 EL34 x2pcs Vaccum Tube Integrated Amplifier NEW - eBay (item 260476031549 end time May-11-10 23:02:00 PDT)

Hide this!Advertise here!