• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Oversized caps (PS and coupling) in RH84: Problem?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm working on my Akai M8 conversion to RH84s (SE EL84) with 12B4 preamps. I picked up some unusual cap values, and now I started to wonder if they were the right choice. I have 330uf main PS caps (after the choke, before the separate dropping resistors to the driver and preamp tubes). I was initially thinking of the 220uf in the schematic. The 330's were a good deal, but some how it didn't occur to me that the 220uf was for both channels. So, I'll have 3 times the suggested value for the RH84. I simulated it in PSUD, and obviously I'll have less ripple. But, some folks criticize oversized PS caps. Will I have any troubles?

I also purchased oversized coupling caps. I wanted the famed and affordable Panasonic ECQ-P(U)s, but as they are now obsolete, Digikey is out of stock on the .22uf. So, I bought the .28uf pieces thinking it wouldn't be a problem. But, in searching for info re: big PS caps, I found that oversized coupling caps can be a problem with feedback loops. These aren't too much bigger, but as long as I was asking about the PS caps, I figured I'd mention this too.

Paul
Wild Burro Audio Labs - DIY Full Range Speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.