• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tube rectifier input capacitance

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I made a mistake and ran a tube rectifier with a max 60uF spec into a PS with a 150uF input cap. Ran for about 8 hrs before I thought of it, the sound was a little harsh on the bass. Should this be cured by lowerering the cap? Could I have damaged the rectifier tube?

The input cap specification assumes a particular value for the resistance of the transformer and any added series resistance. So, without values, it's not possible to know if you've exceeded the rating. But if it's still working, you probably haven't done much damage - yet.

Sheldon

I think I'm going to add a 60uF cap + 100 ohm resistor then attach to the 150uf PS. PSUD shows this will reduce the ripple 75% and I only lose a few volts.

If you do that, and I understand you properly, you are adding some series resistance, and some input capacitance. You may be making matters worse. As I mentioned originally, you can't model this supply accurately without knowing your transformer values. You have to measure the primary resistance, secondary resistance, and unloaded voltage over the primary and secondary.

Once you do this you can model accurately. With your accurate model, check the current over your rectifier. If you are using an indirectly heated rectifier, select "soft start" in the psud options. If it exceeds the rating, increase the series resistance or use a smaller cap. You may get away with it if it only exceeds the rating by a little, for a few cycles.

Sheldon

Thanks for the tips, I wasn't using soft start.

I found that adding a small resistor in series from the rectifier tube to the input cap slowed down the inrush current enough to pass the PSDU test. After I installed it I swear the amp sounded smoother wrt bass hits, may have been some arcing going on on bass drum hits before I added the resistor.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.