Vintage 2a3 tube amp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st January 2010, 02:08 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Vintage 2a3 tube amp

Just wanted to share a amp that my father picked up for me today from one of his ham radio buddies. I cannot find any info on it but has quite the chrome on it for its age I think. Guessing just a simple PA, Theatre amp, or mayde a good start at my tube guitar amp! Any thoughts? Tubes left to right are 53,53,53,2A3,2A3,83 the 83 is missing. This is the second
2a3 amp like this we have came across only the other has no chrome and has a different part number stamped with a 57 tube if I remember. I no it is nothing special but as I said before its shinny or should I say will be after some polishing!

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 31st January 2010, 02:35 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

One of those 2A3s (the Cunningham) looks like a single plate version. If so, that tube is worth a small fortune on eBay if it's good. I've seen them sell for several hundred dollars. The Asians love them. Test it, clean it up and sell it. Take care not to wash off the number on the glass.
"I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when it's components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers. That is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." ~Stephen Hawking

Last edited by HollowState; 31st January 2010 at 02:39 AM.
Old 31st January 2010, 02:35 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

The type 53 data sheet shows the tube being equivalent to the 6N7, except for heater voltage and basing.

Trace the schematic out, carefully. I wonder if the 53s are being used (as described) with the sections paralleled.
Old 31st January 2010, 04:17 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Nice to know about the 2a3 cunningham's as thats what the other amp has as well. Have to put them on the old tube tester on see....!!????

I will have to trace out some on it as I have no schematic except for what is in front of me! All in all I think it is a rather nice looking unit but plenty room for changes and upgrading down the road.

Hide this!Advertise here!