• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

New project; Musical Machine

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The reason I'm considering the two box solution is that the Silk OPT's that I got are nicely potted and look very nice; the choke and Toroid don't look quite as nice. I'm trying to get creative on how I can make this thing look the part. A two box solution seemed like a slick solution and I wouldn't mind running two umbilicals but would for sure be open to other ideas.

Bigjp: If you don't mind stretching your wallet a little (actually a lot...) you could consider the James 9611 transformer (280-0-280 @.3a) or the 9615 (260-0-260 @ .45a). They are very sexy and are available in champagne or black. There is also a US supplier TC Tubes - specializing in vintage vacuum tubes. I have been emailing them and they will have the 9611 in stock shortly for $239 (ouch!) The value of the fist cap will have to come down a little to reach the target B+.

As far as umbilicals go, I've built a 9 pin AMP circular plastic (CPC) connector cable with some 9 conductor Belden cable that looks pretty good. The back shell is missing on the plastic connector in the pic. The CPC series is available from Digikey, etc in many pin and shell arragements. The metal Amphenols are very "industrial" looking and a lot pricier. If you end up going this route, I can crimp the contacts for you if you don't have a crimper.

Attachments

• amp cpc.JPG
    amp cpc.JPG
    669.5 KB · Views: 923
  • amphenol.JPG
    amphenol.JPG
    658.1 KB · Views: 901
Can't help with the choke, but Antek sells covers for the toroidal transformer.

http://www.antekinc.com/pdf/CA-xxx.pdf

They are pretty nice; made of very thick steel with the center post made slightly longer than the height of the "pot" so it there's a small gap between the cover and the mounting surface. (necessary to prevent a shorted turn condition if you use a conductive mounting surface)

Price is reasonable enough that combined with the toroid, this option would probably still be cheaper than other alternatives.

Kyle

Nothing is nailed down, ever. I'm sure there's a stupid mistake in here somewhere; my original point was just that the odds of finding it now by taking a WAG are pretty low.

Heres the power supply:

Im real new at this stuff... but I was trying to understand how you get 12.6Vac and 6.3Vac out of this tansformer as shown in your power supply drawing? can you put the two 6.3 outs in series (orgn-brwn+green-blu) and still pull 6.3 off of one set (grn-blu)?
thanks

Attachments

• an-1T250.JPG
    an-1T250.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 799
Bigjp: If you don't mind stretching your wallet a little (actually a lot...) you could consider the James 9611 transformer (280-0-280 @.3a) or the 9615 (260-0-260 @ .45a). They are very sexy and are available in champagne or black. There is also a US supplier TC Tubes - specializing in vintage vacuum tubes. I have been emailing them and they will have the 9611 in stock shortly for $239 (ouch!) The value of the fist cap will have to come down a little to reach the target B+.

As far as umbilicals go, I've built a 9 pin AMP circular plastic (CPC) connector cable with some 9 conductor Belden cable that looks pretty good. The back shell is missing on the plastic connector in the pic. The CPC series is available from Digikey, etc in many pin and shell arragements. The metal Amphenols are very "industrial" looking and a lot pricier. If you end up going this route, I can crimp the contacts for you if you don't have a crimper.

Thanks for following up on this. I've thought about a different PT, but at 239... that's almost what I paid for all my other parts combined! I thought about doing the Antek and the choke under the chassis and the OPT's on top but that would kind of defeat the work Poinz did in keeping the power and audio circuits separate.

I've seen several commercial products with a single umbilical but I've never seen one with multiples; do people feel pretty strongly that the various voltages need to be kept separate? I'm a newb here so I'm guessing.

Boywonder, I definitely don't have a crimper (not really sure what it does) but if I need one, I will most definitely take you up on your offer.

I've seen several commercial products with a single umbilical but I've never seen one with multiples; do people feel pretty strongly that the various voltages need to be kept separate? I'm a newb here so I'm guessing.

Boywonder, I definitely don't have a crimper (not really sure what it does) but if I need one, I will most definitely take you up on your offer.

I think running the filtered DC in one umbilical and the AC heaters in another would be fine. That keeps the high current AC heaters away from the filtered B+ voltages. You could also rectify the filament voltages into DC in the PS chassis, and then everything could be run in one umbilical, but that would be a lot of aggravation for very little gain. Most folks here think that DC heaters on a power amp are not needed.

I would consider breadboarding the two chassis and try one umbilical between them to see if hum is a problem. You don't even need umbilical connectors for that, just hardwire both ends.

I've been tweaking my 6GK5/EL34 MM's for a few hours.....they are both dead quiet on my 90db speakers...I'm measuring about 2 mv rms of noise on the scope.

You need a crimper to crimp the pins on the circular connectors. they are crimp instead of solder. We have several at work for different series/brands of connectors. Crimpers for these connectors can get very expensive ($300-$400+ each)

I think running the filtered DC in one umbilical and the AC heaters in another would be fine. That keeps the high current AC heaters away from the filtered B+ voltages. You could also rectify the filament voltages into DC in the PS chassis, and then everything could be run in one umbilical, but that would be a lot of aggravation for very little gain. Most folks here think that DC heaters on a power amp are not needed.

I would consider breadboarding the two chassis and try one umbilical between them to see if hum is a problem. You don't even need umbilical connectors for that, just hardwire both ends.

I've been tweaking my 6GK5/EL34 MM's for a few hours.....they are both dead quiet on my 90db speakers...I'm measuring about 2 mv rms of noise on the scope.

You need a crimper to crimp the pins on the circular connectors. they are crimp instead of solder. We have several at work for different series/brands of connectors. Crimpers for these connectors can get very expensive ($300-$400+ each)

I think 2 umbilicals would work okay and I'll for sure get in touch with you for some crimping assistance; anything to avoid buying yet another tool that I'll probably only use once!

Also, your monoblocks sound pretty awesome; any pics?

Flap, the Antek transformer has four secondaries:

Two 250V that can be connected in series (for fullwave rectification) or parallel (for bridge etc.)

One 6.3v

One 12.6V

It's a very usefully designed transformer.

Poinz

Poinz,

Be carefull about some AnTek Models, as they have been revised. A model I was interested in switched from a 12.6 and a 6.3 VAC winding to 2X 6.3 VAC windings. Double check the latest spec's for a model of interest by linking from AnTek's grid.

Poinz,

Be carefull about some AnTek Models, as they have been revised. A model I was interested in switched from a 12.6 and a 6.3 VAC winding to 2X 6.3 VAC windings. Double check the latest spec's for a model of interest by linking from AnTek's grid.

I guess that why i was confused because currently that is what antek shows for the AN-1T250, no 12.3

one blue sock and one black sock

Also, your monoblocks sound pretty awesome; any pics?

Here are some pics. They are not completed yet, but close. The one on the left needs it's Edcor blacked out and the top deck needs bead blasting, not to mention some housekeeping underneath. As of late last nite I'm running the EL34's at 400V/60 ma and they sound great.

Attachments

• MM amps1.JPG
    MM amps1.JPG
    642 KB · Views: 1,024
  • mm bottom 2.JPG
    mm bottom 2.JPG
    636.5 KB · Views: 969
  • amp bottom.JPG
    amp bottom.JPG
    653.1 KB · Views: 926
I was already rectifying the 12. 6V winding with a doubler, for the bias supply. I may try a quadrupler, to see if it works okay; I had not wanted to do this, because the doubler is full-wave, and only will take half the value of filter components to get the ripple down to the same value as the half-wave quadrupler. We'll see.

Aloha,

Poinz
AudioTropic

I was already rectifying the 12. 6V winding with a doubler, for the bias supply. I may try a quadrupler, to see if it works okay; I had not wanted to do this, because the doubler is full-wave, and only will take half the value of filter components to get the ripple down to the same value as the half-wave quadrupler. We'll see.

Aloha,

Poinz
AudioTropic

Poinz,

I think you will do fine using the 2nd schematic in the graphic, "ripped" from Voltage Multiplier Inc., I've uploaded. A bias rail has to provide only a few clean mA. The half-wave parallel topology puts equal strain on the diodes, but the voltage rating of the caps. has to increase with each successive stage.

Attachments

• comp1.jpg
    comp1.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 843
I don't think a new solution is necessary. Since I don't know a fullwave quadrupler circuit, I think I'll just pull off the existing -66v supply for the tail. The current draw (about 2mA max) won't affect that supply at all, and the net power supply will be simplified.

BTW, you're right, Eli; those quadrupler circuits are not the same. Mea culpa.

Aloha,

Poinz
AT

Last edited:
Poinz,

A nice circuit for multi-stage full wave voltage multiplying is available and I've uploaded it. Unfortunately, it's costly to execute, as AC film caps. are necessary in the "arm" positions. 'Lytics are OK in the central "spine".

Attachments

• Pure FW Multiplier.JPG
    Pure FW Multiplier.JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 636
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.