Modular guitar tube amp power supply - interface concerns - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th January 2010, 07:24 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Modular guitar tube amp power supply - interface concerns

Hello all -

Had another hairbrained idea emerging from my inherent cheapness again .

Anywho - I would like to experiment with multiple SE ouptut tube sections in a (home) studio setting (ie,. quick and (relatively safe) changes). B+ for these sections would be roughly 225 +/- 50 volts, 1-~15w. (Ultimately I would like to mix and match preamps and tone stacks as well -- but that is a subject for another day.)

For now, please help me think through the gotchas for using a variable and external power supply for these output stages. By this I mean like recommended connectors for the PS-to-OS (Output Section) junction (molex, vintage octal (like organs))? Also suggestions on rectification approach (before or after the PS-to-OS junction etc). Safety concerns. Grounding arrangements. Noise concerns. Best filtering arrangements.

I have a small 130v variac unit that I could connect to say a ~300-0-300v transformer (150ma) to provide the variable HV AC input to the PS. A separate 6V dedicated filament supply would also be on the PS. Might mention that Tubelab talks about such a "variable supply" setup on his website. Guess I am looking to make it "ready for studio use". This is just my initial thought - if there is a better way, sing out.

And yes - this is for sloppy guitar amp use - hope you HiFi folks won't be offended. In the near term I will be attaching a Seymore Duncan Twin Tube guitar premap to these various SE output sections and later may try the new "building block preamps" that have been coming out resently on the AX84 site.

Hopefully this will be a fun thought experiment.

Hide this!Advertise here!