• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Adjustable internal Resonance?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2004
[SIZE=+1]The direct interaction of tubes and components has a resonating effect on the signal.
Harmonics can be tightened or released to create an acoustic instrument-like natural resonance.

The language is obscure, he talks guru language, I really don't understand what he's talking about, do you?

Anyway his amplifier looks funny, that's why I'm posting this...the text is also funny.

Do this only if you feel bored, be warned:

Siegmund Diamond - hand made stringed instrument Tube Amplifier

[/SIZE]

I glanced over the site and didn't see a detailed description. However, it's not very mysterious. I guess he's simply using the natural microphonic behaviour of DHT filament tubes to mechanically resonate with the output. Not that much different from a spring reverb. I guess that he "adjusts" it by changing the amount of dampining between amp and speaker output.

Sheldon

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
MI designers and manufacturers live in a different world where it is about making music rather than reproducing it. The amplifier and speaker is a big part of that combination. Hyperbole seems to be the norm, possibly there is some reasonably solid engineering underneath it all, but few musicians I know care much about that - it's all about seeking the holy grail of tone..

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
First I thought it could be a feedback control with tone adjustment, but what Sheldon says sounds much more interesting, even though I don't understand how he can control the microphonics to make it musical. So yeah, language is obscure and technique unknown so I guess I will never know.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2004
[SIZE=+1]

[/SIZE]
attempting to read more than two lines of text makes my eyes bleed and my brain melt. x-(

This line is a bad start:

[SIZE=+1]No capacitors or resistors are in the way, as with conventional tube amplifier designs.

[/SIZE]
With this one starts the fun:

[SIZE=+1]The input absorbs all the unique character of the introduced signal.

[/SIZE]
It doesn't melt my brain, I'm having fun:

[SIZE=+1]The signal flows freely without distortion or limitations in frequency range

[/SIZE]
...but he makes fine guitars. He won't go to hell.
[SIZE=+1]

[/SIZE]

Well -- the tube choices are interesting:

300B mesh plate output tubes
6J7G or 6K7G mesh plate preamp tubes
83 mercury vapor rectifier tube

Could someone comment on the effects of these particular tubes ... A DHT and a rectifier full of postive ions to increase thruput. Any body have experience with "mesh grid tubes".

To be honest felahs I don't care about hype (at all) but I have thought about using these components myself in guitar amps. The quote from Sergio at Mercury magnetics impresses me a bit. I have "conversed" with him briefly before - extremely knowledgible guy about iron and quite the inventive type.

Certainly -- I have heard that Pentode front ends allow more voltage swing to "absorb more of the input signal"

The resonance comment I suspect is maybe an OT reference. Heres a wild idea -- what if the OT had lotza primary taps in a particular range with a stepped hifi type "selector" ... kinda like a wah pedal perhaps ... which also changes the resonant peak of the output. Could subtle changes in the screen tap pull this off??? Look ma no caps or resistors ...

I need "crazy" people to comment here -- where is George and Schematik?

Last edited:
Kind sir could you explain more about the dampning adjustment - resistive change right? thx.

No, mechanical. I was speculating that the mechanical movement of the DHT filament, excited by the output sound, creates some added tone. This could be modulated by the mechanical contact between the amp and the sound. You'll note that in the pictures on the site, the amp is sitting on the speaker, which would maximize the effect if there is no dampening material between amp and speaker. One could reduce the mechanical coupling by adding some padding between amp and speaker, or moving the amp off the speaker.

Sheldon

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.