• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

How to self taught about building tube amplifiers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, I am new to this forum and this is my first post. I have been a serious audio enthusiast for nearly 30 years and I use solid state amplifiers exclusively. Recently, I am thinking of changing my system to tube amplifiers and would like to DIY my own amplifiers. I have no technique background and would like to know if it is possible to self taught on how to build them. If possible, where and how should I start? Your input is much appreciated.
Thanks,

There is building as in putting parts of a kit together, then there is building as in copying existing designs and then there is building as in designing your own gear from scratch.

Since you mentioned you are unfamiliar with physics (electronics) I second Glowbug's suggestion - grab a kit and a decent book (I haven't read M. Jones' book myself but others recommend it so it must be good) and figure out how your kit works.

Hello.
Welcome to the world of glass envelopes!!!
Suggestions:
1:Read the book already suggested.
2: Get the book: Beginners Guide To Tube Audio Design, Bruce Rozenblit. AND: Audio Reality, Bruce Rozenblit
Beginner's Guide to Tube Audio Design
AUDIO REALITY by Bruce Rozenblit
3: Get this book: Principles of Electron Tubes, Herbert J. Reich.
Technical books online
4: While you are there download anything that "catches your fancy".
5: Then as a GREAT project: DCPP Amp
Searching this forum will get you to that project..
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/151206-posted-new-p-p-power-amp-design.html
....beware though many have heavily"pooged" their builds. Just go for a stock build first.
*** BE VERY CERTAIN to read and understand the thread previously quoted:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/30172-safety-practices-general-ultra-high-voltage.html
6: Browse around and read as you find the interest: John Broskie's Guide to Tube Circuit Analysis & Design

Lastly...............JUST ENJOY your Music.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
In addition to the recommendations above you really need Morgan Jones "Valve Amplifiers 3rd Edition" as well as "Building Valve Amplifiers" previously mentioned. In fact I would put it at the top of the list - IMHO there is no better tube audio book out there.

Buy it here: Amazon.com: morgan jones valve amplifiers: Books

or here: BKB40 - Valve Amplifiers (Recommended as this is also the source of the only diy audio magazine in North America, and they can use the support.)

This looks like a good time to interject with a basic question.

Is it even possible for someone with without an engineering degree, and no proffessional "Tech" experience, basically starting from scratch, to reach a point where they can really design an amp, or even radically alter a design? Assume this person has strong reading skills, and only a basic college algebra background. Sometime I get the feeling this is a playground where only engineers get to play. Just how far can the determined self taught go?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member

Is it even possible for someone with without an engineering degree, and no proffessional "Tech" experience, basically starting from scratch, to reach a point where they can really design an amp, or even radically alter a design? Assume this person has strong reading skills, and only a basic college algebra background. Sometime I get the feeling this is a playground where only engineers get to play. Just how far can the determined self taught go?

Absolutely!! It requires a lot of dedication and a willingness to try things, make mistakes and learn from them. Strong analytical skills are a plus. Experience over time will get you there. Many of us are engineers, (myself included) however we're a pretty inclusive lot, and are happy to share our experience and knowledge.

Reasonably good test equipment and understanding how to use it is an important component to success.

You can go just as far as you want to go. In the high end industry there are quite a few self taught types, (in some cases rather unfortunately) many of whom probably are not as good as you may turn out to be.

There is room for anyone in this hobby who wants to be here. :D

Last edited:

Very possible.

Math and basic Physics is all you need to start. Ohm's Law is indispensable tool. :D

There are great software out there that can help to design tube amps, PSUD2 is indispensable for me. Tube data is easy to find using TDSL Tube search

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.