Looking for the Ultimate Aikido. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th January 2010, 01:50 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Looking for the Ultimate Aikido.

G'day folks.

I have an interest in acquiring an Aikido line stage for preamp duty.I presently am using a Transcendent Sound Grounded Grid preamp,and I am very happy with it.It is being used in an otherwise entirely Solid State vinyl-based stereo system.

I was considering upgrades to the Grounded Grid.Research on the 'net yielded the result that I would be better-off purchasing an Aikido line stage.

Now here is the reason for my post here;I have no experience of construction(I had the Grouhded Grid constructed for me),nor do I understand the finer points of tube design theory/practice.Thus I will necessarily be getting someone to construct the Aikido for me.I am seeking advice here specifically as to which of the many Aikido options yield the highest sound quality.

I am not looking for an Aikido which will add a 'soothing' or 'warm' sound to the system.Nor do I seek euphonics.I am looking for a line stage which accurately reflects/represents the signal which is being fed into it.A 'High Resolution' quality is what I am seeking.Greater insight,both sonic and artistic,where the software provides both.

Which power supply options also support the best version of the Aikido?

Is there a version of the Aikido which comprehensively outdoes the others based on this criterion?
Old 20th January 2010, 02:37 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theophile View Post
Looking for the Ultimate...
Take a number, there's a long line for Ultimates already formed up
Old 20th January 2010, 02:46 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadbelly View Post
Take a number, there's a long line for Ultimates already formed up
Thank you for that informative post.
Old 20th January 2010, 02:54 AM   #4
john65b is offline john65b  United States
diyAudio Member

I built the 6SN7/6SN7 Octal Aikido and it ranks. Not much gain (could put a 6SL7 in front) but don't really need it.

I also have a 9 pin Aikido in the works that will be a 6N1P/5687 based, but may be a while before i can get to it..
Old 20th January 2010, 04:31 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

First you cannot go to the peak of the mountain without building it yourself. Buy the kit minus the tubes. John’s user Guides offer very good instructions.
I have built several Aikido line stages. The one that gets used most often is an octal with NOS 12SN7’s.
The original stepped attenuator is great.
The PS-1 power supply at 300 volts is dark as the night (quiet) cheep too.
DT
All just for fun!
Old 20th January 2010, 04:53 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DualTriode View Post
First you cannot go to the peak of the mountain without building it yourself. Buy the kit minus the tubes. Johnís user Guides offer very good instructions.
I have built several Aikido line stages. The one that gets used most often is an octal with NOS 12SN7ís.
The original stepped attenuator is great.
The PS-1 power supply at 300 volts is dark as the night (quiet) cheep too.
DT
All just for fun!
DT
I have read enough about tube preamps to know that every component choice/variation(be that tubes/caps,resistors powersupply configurations etc) has a subjective effect,which may or may not be to the taste of the listener.Therefore I understand your assertion that the 'Ultimate'(for me)would necessarily have to have my input at the component selection stage,along with experimentation with various versions.

I might therefore narrow-down this broadly-cast net to the different ready-made PCBs/powersupply options etc which are being sold at the Tube CAD site.

I appreciate very,very much you offering me the nomination of your favourite version of many built.This is the type of information which I was seeking when I started this thread.I am doing a thorough search of the diy.audio archives going through the Aikido threads to see what I can glean from them.The task is enormous,and as I said before,I don't understand the theoretical or practical to and froing about different PS voltages or tube types.I am merely in this gleaning attempt hoping to look for some kind of broad consensus,not hoping for absolute agreement.

Wish me luck.I may have bitten-off more than I can chew.
Old 20th January 2010, 05:46 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Jump in, build one.
Next month you will be looking for the next iteration, like Tubelab.com ’s Simple SE power amp.
Luck! And take a good bite!
DT
All just for fun!
Old 20th January 2010, 12:07 PM   #8
Glowbug is offline Glowbug  United States
diyAudio Member

What don't you like about the GG?
Old 20th January 2010, 12:18 PM   #9
piero7 is offline piero7  Italy
diyAudio Member

About supply, to my Aikido I tried two tube regulators.

The first one is the quieter about noise, but the second is more musically! The rectified is tube, no electrolitic capacitors, and two inductors (dual mono). I'll now try to mount two salas shunt regulators.

Right now, I use the second regulator, with gas tube stabilizer, a bit noisy, but more musical
Attached Images
File Type: jpg regolatore6080.jpg (84.2 KB, 898 views)
File Type: jpg regolatore-EL84-2.jpg (89.1 KB, 887 views)
Old 20th January 2010, 12:20 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glowbug View Post
What don't you like about the GG?
To be quite honest with you:

Nothing.

I have simply read assessments made by people who have both the Aikido and the Grounded Grid,that they prefer the Aikido.That,to me, was sufficient for me to consider getting an Aikido built as opposed to spending money on mods for the GG.My GG is 7 years old,and completely stock purchased from Bruce Rozenblit as a kit.

The Grounded Grid is a remarkable item.I wish that all Hi-Fi components performed to it's level and cost as little.Sadly few components sound as good,and most cost a lot more(and they don't sound as good either).

Hide this!Advertise here!