• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Looking for the Ultimate Aikido.

the version I built with Wima FKP and Panasonic metal film resistors sounded identical.

Similar to my experience building Pass amplifiers. Once you get the circuit right, and choose decent active parts (MOSFETs for Pass amplifiers), the passive parts have negligible sonic contribution. I couldn't hear any difference. However, for an Ultimate project, "negligible" isn't as good as "none".

Similar to Pass solid-state designs, the Aikido circuit design minimizes much of the dependency of the individual components, especially the passive components. Changing the bias current by 1mA will have a far larger sonic impact than choosing the resistor brand. Since the Aikido has two stages, there's a lot of room for optimizing bias currents.

I agree with Kashmire. I've had the GG and the Aikido. Aikido beats hands down for my taste. My philosophy is to get a clean signal to the amp. The "magic" that one wants is the interaction between the amp and the speakers. Clean with a low distortion SS amp or dirty with an SET, that is where the coloration lives. Just my opinion.

Hello,
Speaking of part selection and the number of triodes in the Aikido.
If we are using 12B4A’s at the input stage what are the candidates for the output stage. My preference would be something in the range of 6BQ7 or 6BK7 with a relatively high gm.
Speaking of the number of triodes and relatively high gm how much excess noise (or not) does the high tube count add?
DT
All just for fun!

If we are using 12B4A’s at the input stage what are the candidates for the output stage.

Use 12B4A for both stages? The 12B4A (gm~6.5) would offer low output impedance at the output stage, and provide plenty of drive. However, if you are looking for a high gm valve for the output stage (which is a reasonable objective), then why not the Russian 6c45pi "super tube" (gm~45)? Low output impedance, high gm, and good drive.

Another option is the 6H30 (gm~10).

I forgot about the JJ ECC99 (gm~10). This could be a good choice for the output stage, and should be investigated as a candidate for the first stage.

Hello all,
While this thread has been sitting quiet I have built a Broskie Aikido Cathode Follower, it rocks.
Consider this, most power amplifiers require 1-½ to 2 volts for maximum power output. Why do we need more than 20 volts output from a line stage regardless of how good the line stage is? Skip the gain stage of the Aikido. All the magic noise canceling balance is alive and well in the Broskie Cathode Follower. Carefully calculate the noise canceling resistors and you are in business with a buffered line stage with remarkably low output impedance that will drive cables even power output tubes. Low output impedance Aikidio and the Aikido Cathode Follower
Check this link for the tools.
Now consider the gain that does not need to be burned and beaten up in an attenuator.
I built mine for 6bq7 and 6dj8 style tubes. Pick your own.
Did I say the sound comes out unbeaten? Plays jazz well too.
DT
Just for fun!

I built the 6SN7/6SN7 Octal Aikido and it ranks. Not much gain (could put a 6SL7 in front) but don't really need it.

I also have a 9 pin Aikido in the works that will be a 6N1P/5687 based, but may be a while before i can get to it..

I have built a lot of aikido combinations, 7n7/6sn7, 12sl7/12sn7, 12au7/12au7, 5751/12au7, 12at7/12au7 and my latest, 6n1p into either 5687 or 7119. So far, the 6n1p into 5687 or 7119 have lasted the longest on my equipment rack, followed by the 12sl7/12sn7. (Am using a 7119->lundahl 1660s->EL84 PP into Vandersteen 1c).

As for finding the ultimate aikido, good luck. The choice would also depends on the equipment upstream and downstream of your preamp. :D

Joined 2005
Paid Member
I like my Tung Sol 6sn7gt(?) into RCA 6sn7gt(?), and so far I like this setup more than anything else I have built or bought. Looking for another pair of Tung Sol 6SN7 for the backside....

I also have a single brand spanking new red base RCA 5692 and looking for its match to try.

Hello all,
While this thread has been sitting quiet I have built a Broskie Aikido Cathode Follower, it rocks.
Consider this, most power amplifiers require 1-½ to 2 volts for maximum power output. Why do we need more than 20 volts output from a line stage regardless of how good the line stage is? Skip the gain stage of the Aikido. All the magic noise canceling balance is alive and well in the Broskie Cathode Follower. Carefully calculate the noise canceling resistors and you are in business with a buffered line stage with remarkably low output impedance that will drive cables even power output tubes. Low output impedance Aikidio and the Aikido Cathode Follower
Check this link for the tools.
Now consider the gain that does not need to be burned and beaten up in an attenuator.
I built mine for 6bq7 and 6dj8 style tubes. Pick your own.
Did I say the sound comes out unbeaten? Plays jazz well too.
DT
Just for fun!

I hear you, all that gains seems such a waste. Its a pity cos Id like to try it, but I dont what Id do with all that gain. I cant believe so meany Aikido buffs need 20db of gain.

Sy's line stage looks interesting. Sy why an input transformer and not one on the output? Rather than gronding one end of the transformer, could I not use it balanced and keep ground away from the signal? Would it then not be a good idea to use a transformer for the output in balanced out?

Just for kicks you should build an all in one kit - noval would give you more range of tube selection. Probably build it for $300 USD with a xformer and chassis like a hammond box or something.

pick up a digital multimeter and soldering iron and some solder and you are off to the races...it really is super simple with the instructions provided.

Just for kicks you should build an all in one kit - noval would give you more range of tube selection. Probably build it for $300 USD with a xformer and chassis like a hammond box or something.

pick up a digital multimeter and soldering iron and some solder and you are off to the races...it really is super simple with the instructions provided.
anywhere a schematic of this phono RIAA MM stage ?
https://luckyx02.de/data/documents/Aikido_Phono_Prospekt_Mail-1.pdf