• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Dynaco MkIII preamp/linestage recommendations?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently purchased a pair of Dynaco MkIII amplifiers to restore, and would welcome suggestions for preamp or linestage circuits to drive them.

These amps are not pristine by any stretch of the imagination - dirty, pitted chassis, oxidized tube sockets, et c. I'm going to replace the sockets, sand and powdercoat, recap and retube. The driver boards will be replaced with Triode Electronics boards outfitted with 7316s and 12BH7As.

Since these are not "collector quality" amps, I don't mind performing a bit of drilling and cutting to fit new connectors and/or components. If these are to be used 99% of the time to amplify signals from an NAD C541i CD player, is it feasible to simply add a volume control at the line input of the amps themselves?

As an alternative, would a 6SN7/6SN7 Aikido preamp using Bas's boards be a good choice? Perhaps a simple one-tube 5687 a la Pat's Ultimate Preamp?

I don't have the mythical 'Golden Ears', and so cannot justify spending thousands on exotic equipment whose nuances I'll never hear. I'm just looking for recommendations for a solid, stable circuit which won't compromise the sound of a mid-level rebuild on these amps.

Thanks.

Low quality preamps

I am a low budget listener with a ST70, which is two mark III's. It still works okay. I liked my PAS2 preamp, but when the volume control I bought from Stereo Cost cutters (now out of the Dyna parts business)only lasted a year before getting noisy and dropping out, I figured the time had come to move on. I used a Sony TC230 reel to reel tape recorder with a bad pinch roller as a preamp for years, but it has recently gotten wimpy due to too many electrolytic capacitors over 35 year old. The low cost preamp I am using now is called a "mixer", because the terminology has moved on. I paid $15 for it at the flea market, it is a Herald Electronic RA88a "Stereo Disco Mixer". I can just see disco duck dancing in the commercial. It lacks the rotary switch selector and tape monitor function of a pre-amp, but it sounds okay on LP's and the CD player. My point is, if you really are on a budget, free your mind from the word "preamp" and there is a lot of stuff out there on junk shelves. On the other hand, I have just recently discovered Triode myself, and wonder if his volume pots are better than the surplus from the old dyna closeout stock.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.