Chassis - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th January 2010, 12:14 PM   #1
regal is offline regal  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Chassis

Would like to build a simple would chassis with the metal top plate. Anyone have links to how you make the corner cuts? I'm a non-wood worker and can't seem to get 45 degree angles.
Old 16th January 2010, 12:23 PM   #2
Loren42 is offline Loren42  United States
diyAudio Member

You can buy a simple wooden or plastic jig to do this at a lumber store called a miter box and it comes with what is called a back-saw. That is the cheapest tool you can get.

A better alternative is to buy a cheap six pack of beer and have your buddy cut them for you with his power miter saw. Make sure that you stipulate that the beer is to be shared and only after the cutting is done.
Old 16th January 2010, 12:28 PM   #3
BL21DE3 is offline BL21DE3  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hi,

You could use a miter saw to get the 45 degree cuts Miter saw - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Regards,
Ewan
Old 16th January 2010, 12:59 PM   #4
piero7 is offline piero7  Italy
diyAudio Member

How about to use the hammond aluminium series chassis?
Old 16th January 2010, 01:26 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
Would like to build a simple would chassis with the metal top plate. Anyone have links to how you make the corner cuts? I'm a non-wood worker and can't seem to get 45 degree angles.
But then you have to Figure out how to rabit the wood for the top plate? All this has put the brakes on my future projects! I'm thinking about going with a "ParMetal" enclosure with a couple strips of Walnut bolted to the sides as an alternative....
Old 16th January 2010, 01:27 PM   #6
smbrown is offline smbrown  United States
diyAudio Member

If you plan to use any kind of hardwood (maple, cherry, oak, etc) and a miter box + saw, you are in for a really tough time! Power tools for hardwood are the best choice. As someone else said, find a buddy w/saw. On the other hand, you can get a nice power miter saw for not too many $. They are small and light and can tuck into a corner closet or garage when not in use. Check out Lowe's or Home Depot to get an idea of what is available.
Old 16th January 2010, 01:45 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbrown View Post
If you plan to use any kind of hardwood (maple, cherry, oak, etc) and a miter box + saw, you are in for a really tough time! Power tools for hardwood are the best choice. As someone else said, find a buddy w/saw. On the other hand, you can get a nice power miter saw for not too many $. They are small and light and can tuck into a corner closet or garage when not in use. Check out Lowe's or Home Depot to get an idea of what is available.
Have you ever seen some of the houses built before the 1900's? I have lived in many and they tend to have some very ornate wood working inside.

Now, consider these houses were built without power saws and pneumatic or electric nailers and you start to really scratch your head.
Old 16th January 2010, 02:23 PM   #8
martyh is offline martyh  United States
diyAudio Member

Look for one of these and have it cleaned and sharpened. They are professional quality from back in the day. A properly tuned hand saw is very efficient.

Antique H.Disstons & Son Saw & Miller Falls Miter Box - eBay (item 250561833091 end time Jan-18-10 05:38:13 PST)

Add one of these and you can do work that is far better than anything you will produce with a crappy power saw.

OLIVER MACHINERY CO. No. 0 MITER MITRE TRIMMER 0-2 - eBay (item 230418554000 end time Jan-30-10 08:23:39 PST)
Old 16th January 2010, 02:38 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
But then you have to Figure out how to rabit the wood for the top plate? All this has put the brakes on my future projects!
I used a cheap Chinese table saw similar to this one for my earlier builds.

Ryobi 10 in Portable Table Saw with Steel Table - BTS12S at The Home Depot

I have seen that same saw on sale for $79 at the local Home Depot store. Harbor Freight has a tiny table saw for $39 but I haven't seen one yet. Two years ago I upgraded my table saw to a bigger one at a Home Depot black friday sale. Even a cheap table saw can do the 45 degree cuts, and the rabits, and grooves to set the top plate slightly below the top of the wood. I photographed the steps needed to do this over a year ago, but haven't posted them yet. I will get them on the web site in the near future.
Old 16th January 2010, 02:48 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubelab.com View Post
I used a cheap Chinese table saw similar to this one for my earlier builds.

Ryobi 10 in Portable Table Saw with Steel Table - BTS12S at The Home Depot

I have seen that same saw on sale for $79 at the local Home Depot store. Harbor Freight has a tiny table saw for $39 but I haven't seen one yet. Two years ago I upgraded my table saw to a bigger one at a Home Depot black friday sale. Even a cheap table saw can do the 45 degree cuts, and the rabits, and grooves to set the top plate slightly below the top of the wood. I photographed the steps needed to do this over a year ago, but haven't posted them yet. I will get them on the web site in the near future.
Good point, but the cheapest is the six-pack of beer and a buddy with tools.

In life you need to have a good circle of friends. I suggest three types if you can find them:

1) A friend with tools

2) A friend with a pickup truck

3) A friend with money

If you have those then you have more than any one of the three or even all three together.

Hide this!Advertise here!