Schematic wanted for VTL Preamp "Maximal" - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th January 2010, 07:21 PM   #11
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvrgeek View Post
Yes the circuit is simple looking, but their sonic quality was in the execution. Very careful attention to detail. Chassis design was for sound, not ease of repair. Probably some mount of justification for the price as well. If I remember, they were horribly expensive. Compare a PV-5 with a PAS-3. Again, execution.
I worked on a few Deluxe and in my opinion this model sounded in no way particularly special - not horrible, but not great either, unfortunately it wasn't particularly reliable, nor was it well put together. I have heard and worked on the Maximal as well and wasn't impressed. IMO there was nothing special about the chassis, I think design choices were greatly dictated by aesthetic considerations, and there was no real mechanical isolation between the case, pcb, and tubes - these were quite prone to microphonics. People loved tweaking these with expensive acoustical isolation devices -- needn't wonder why... U.K. versions were very well put together, the later U.S. built ones weren't nearly as nicely executed. (Not even close) Regardless these pre-amps are very traditional in their electrical design approach and their sound is well... traditional... One thing I will say for them is that they were a bit less expensive than most of the competition so they did offer reasonably good value IMO as an introduction to tube sound. (Most of the people I serviced these for were first time tubies, and soon moved on to other pre-amps.)

Last edited by kevinkr; 16th January 2010 at 07:25 PM.
Old 17th January 2010, 11:08 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Yes the circuit is simple looking, but their sonic quality was in the execution. Very careful attention to detail. Chassis design was for sound, not ease of repair. Probably some mount of justification for the price as well. If I remember, they were horribly expensive. Compare a PV-5 with a PAS-3. Again, execution.
What means "sonic quality was in the execution" ?
perhaps "only average sound quality" ?
Old 25th January 2010, 06:54 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

The printed wiring board of the whole PCB of this preamp also needed (to avoid the disass'y from the rear pannel).
Either component site view or solder site view (at best both).
Where I can get this?
Old 25th January 2010, 07:07 PM   #14
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

well - I don't know
Old 25th January 2010, 08:15 PM   #15
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Yes the circuit is simple looking, but their sonic quality was in the execution. Very careful attention to detail.
That was not the case for the one i had... very early version thou.

dave
Old 28th January 2010, 01:47 AM   #16
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
That was not the case for the one i had... very early version thou.

dave
Wasn't the case for most VTL stuff I have looked at frankly and the sound was not so hot either.. I've been into DIY for so long that I no longer follow the majors to any degree, getting to hear something commercial just often enough to know I am happy where I am..
Old 28th January 2010, 03:15 AM   #17
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkr View Post
Wasn't the case for most VTL stuff I have looked at frankly and the sound was not so hot either..
In the end we gutted it and built something else inside.

dave
Old 28th January 2010, 09:52 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
One more reason to publish a proper service manual

More important than schematic for me is now the printed wiring board of the whole PCB of this preamp (solder site).

I still don't get reply from mail@vtl.com (Music creates the dimension) and also not from gmleng@earthlink.net so as brad@transaudiogroup.com (found by Manley_FAQ_Frequently_Asked_Questions)

Because I don't know who of both will provide currently technical support and repairs from these two companies I contact both.

Perhaps the reason for "no-reply" are outdated e.mail addresses though not updated websites. Perhaps one of you knows more.

Last edited by tiefbassuebertr; 28th January 2010 at 09:58 AM.
Old 28th January 2010, 05:34 PM   #19
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiefbassuebertr View Post
One more reason to publish a proper service manual

More important than schematic for me is now the printed wiring board of the whole PCB of this preamp (solder site).

I still don't get reply from mail@vtl.com (Music creates the dimension) and also not from gmleng@earthlink.net so as brad@transaudiogroup.com (found by Manley_FAQ_Frequently_Asked_Questions)

Because I don't know who of both will provide currently technical support and repairs from these two companies I contact both.

Perhaps the reason for "no-reply" are outdated e.mail addresses though not updated websites. Perhaps one of you knows more.

Not to be a curmudgeon about it, but I would be surprised if either company offered to provide technical support for this product. I was unable to get schematics for VTL amplifiers I was fixing even when they were current, this unit is something like 25yrs old - and it's designer died a while ago unfortunately.

Perhaps a (very) poor analogy but it might be a little like going to an OPEL dealer and asking for a new factory service manual for an early '80s Opel Commodore...

You need to tackle this on your own or find someone who can.
Old 16th September 2012, 12:19 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Default Unwanted Short Wave Reception by select the Phono-Input

A friend of me observe issues regard that - go to post #14 about
turntable/record player and unwanted reception of broadcast sw stations

Hide this!Advertise here!