Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th January 2010, 08:01 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Basic HiFi Tube Amp Layout? Please?

Hi there!

I'm looking to build a very basic tube amp that can be hooked up to an iPod, CD layer or something of that sort.

I've asked here before and somebody suggested a modified version of a Fender Champ, but that's where the thread died. Now, after surfing for hours and hours every night I still can't find a nice layout to follow.

If anybody has a layout that I can use please post it. I'm after a basic, no frills tube amp.

Thanks!
Old 11th January 2010, 04:19 PM   #2
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

What exactly are your goals? You need to tell us quite a lot more before you will get useful responses..

Do you intend to drive speakers, and if so what?
Do you want stereo or is mono ok?
What sort of skill level do you bring to the table?

A fender champ is a guitar amplifier, hardly the best choice for listening to music. Was that suggestion based on your wanting something similar to an iPod dock for example?

Where will it be used?
What is your budget?

So on and so forth..
Old 11th January 2010, 04:51 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Based on the the vague information you gave, my advice would be to get a PCB based design (such as the Tubelab SimpleSE) as it leaves less room for problems (and in the case of the SimpleSE is a tried and true design.)

Beyond that, we need to know what it is you want exactly. If you answer Kevin's question, plus how loud do you need it to go, what sort of size do you want it to be and how much do you want to spend, should give a better basis for a recommendation.
Old 12th January 2010, 02:05 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the responses.

I'm not new to this tube amp stuff, however, my entire experience is limited to guitar amps. I've built a few of those, always had a layout to check, verify with.

What I would like to build is a simple amp, stereo if possible, but nothing fancy. I would like it to have a power amp big enough to drive a couple speakers, nothing fancy there either, and I'm open to any suggestion regarding the speakers as well.

I was thinking about the champ modifications somebody suggested here. I guess that would take a preamp and power amp for each channel (left and right) along with a single power supply. I don't know much about anything regarding hifi amps, so I don't know if a tube rectifier would be better than a SS one for that particular application.

I intend the amp to work with MP3 players, or even a portable CD layer. That's the use, nothing else.

I guess something like 5W is enough, a 5W guitar amp can get pretty loud so that's what I'm using for comparison.
Old 12th January 2010, 02:47 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trex2009 View Post

I'm not new to this tube amp stuff, however, my entire experience is limited to guitar amps. I've built a few of those, always had a layout to check, verify with.

What I would like to build is a simple amp, stereo if possible, but nothing fancy. I would like it to have a power amp big enough to drive a couple speakers, nothing fancy there either, and I'm open to any suggestion regarding the speakers as well.

I was thinking about the champ modifications somebody suggested here. I guess that would take a preamp and power amp for each channel (left and right) along with a single power supply. I don't know much about anything regarding hifi amps, so I don't know if a tube rectifier would be better than a SS one for that particular application.

I intend the amp to work with MP3 players, or even a portable CD layer. That's the use, nothing else.

I guess something like 5W is enough, a 5W guitar amp can get pretty loud so that's what I'm using for comparison.
Regardless of rectifier technology, SS or vacuum, implementation details are the name of the game.

"El Cheapo" should be right up your alley. Look the schematic over, then read the LENGTHY saga here. EC works with a "standard" CDP, whose max. O/P level is 2 VRMS.
Attached Images
File Type: gif elCheapo-23jun06-map.gif (38.8 KB, 672 views)
Old 12th January 2010, 06:00 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Being a guitar amp, I wouldn't do the Champ mods, if you're going to build an amp for hifi use, might as well go from a hifi design.

If you're fine with P2P wiring, something like the El Cheapo that Eli mentioned would be good. For five to ten watts, a Single Ended 6L6/EL34/KT88/etc amp would give you that, for a bit more (twenty or thereabouts) a push pull EL84 amp could be on the cards.

Here's a few threads to get you started, have a look and see what you think:

stereo SE kt88 build ... abdellah diyaudioprojects design

EL84 Amp - Baby Huey

The Red Light District - another PP EL84 amp
Old 13th January 2010, 02:34 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Still can't find a layout I can follow. I got a nice schematic, but I'd love to have a layout so I can check what I'm doing. This is my first hifi amp and I don't wanna screw up.

And yes, actually, I would prefer point to point wiring.
Old 13th January 2010, 04:06 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I think what he's looking for is a wiring diagram. Not many seem to exist. THis is why I felt I had to to the ST-70 as my first build. Lots of pics!
Old 13th January 2010, 04:31 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Still can't find a layout I can follow.
By layout, do you mean where to physically place the components ie transformers, tubes, etc in the chassis?
Old 13th January 2010, 12:24 PM   #10
Loren42 is offline Loren42  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:

What's your budget?

Hide this!Advertise here!