• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Equivalent to IXCP10M45S?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i do have another question. can i use FRED diode DSEI12-12A on Simple SE .... guess the answer is obviously a yes

The DSEI12-12A has a poor reliability in the Simple SE. The B+ voltage is a bit higher and the newer version DSEI12-12A's are not able to handle the surge created from some power transformers (especially Hammonds). The older parts were just fine, but something changed about 2 years ago and they started failing.

The diodes are not needed in the Simple SE. They are only used if you want the solid state rectifier option, or want to switch between solid state and tube rectifiers. If you do not need this capability, simply leave the diodes out. If you want this capability I would use the Fairchild diodes.

The DSEI12-12A has a poor reliability in the Simple SE. The B+ voltage is a bit higher and the newer version DSEI12-12A's are not able to handle the surge created from some power transformers (especially Hammonds). The older parts were just fine, but something changed about 2 years ago and they started failing.

The diodes are not needed in the Simple SE. They are only used if you want the solid state rectifier option, or want to switch between solid state and tube rectifiers. If you do not need this capability, simply leave the diodes out. If you want this capability I would use the Fairchild diodes.

hi george,
since there is reliability in the DSEI12-12A FRED Diode, guess i did better stick to ISL9R8120P2 should i want to have the feature to switch between SS or tube rectifier for simple SE.

if that is the case, do u also recommend to use ISL9R8120P2 for tubelab SE?

in the mean time, shall wait for your reply in the value to change to for the 330ohm resistor (R13 & R23 in simple SE) should i use DN2540N5 in replace of IXCP10M45S due to availability.

thanks and have a nice weekend.....

As so as I have asked the question, I think I have found the answer in the very next thread.

"The IRFP240 can be used, but unlike the DN2450, it is an enhancement mode type - so you can't just use it as a current source by adding a resistor in the source circuit (like you can with Depletion-mode FETs)"

It might be possible to use the IRFP240 but the none linear input capacitance will add distortion and that sickly sweet MOSFET sound. The IXY chips are not just fancy mosfets as far as I am aware. Some sort cascade would improve things.

Shoog

The IXYS chips seem to work better in cascode, just like the depletion mode FET's they are emulating. However, they've got an advantage over the Supertex FET's for use in the top position: their source-gate voltage is much larger; there is more voltage for the lower device to work in which lowers its capacitance to the benefit of all...:) It also leaves one able to build a very inexpensive CCS with a DN3545N3 underneath and a high-voltage IXYS device on top.
cheers,
Douglas

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.