Looking for non-DRD 300B using D3a as driver - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th January 2010, 05:42 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Looking for non-DRD 300B using D3a as driver

Hello,
I was wondering if anybody knew of a great 300B design that uses the D3a as the driver. I have searched this forum and eleswhere but I continue to only come up with a DRD topology.

I recently sourced all the parts to build the JEL 300B and bought an extra set of OPTs from James (6123HS). I was toying with the idea of using this D3a in a 2A3 project I am completing but went a different direction with that one. In the process I picked up 4 of the Siemens D3a drivers and now I am thinking I might try them in a 2 stage D3a/300B amp since I have the parts (some of them at least).

Any suggestions for some designs? I wanted to stay away from the DRD designs b/c my power transformer selection I have won't get me the voltages I see with most of these designs.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 10th January 2010, 09:39 AM   #2
Jaap is offline Jaap  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

So you changed your mind

Triode Dick's Page
Attached Images
File Type: gif 300B_6H30_ceasar2_schema_versterker.GIF (19.5 KB, 943 views)
Old 10th January 2010, 09:47 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

If you have a centre tapped V+, you can use a full wave rectifier bridge on the outer connections, and leave the centre tap open. 250v-0v-250v becomes 500v; DC voltage will be about 500v x 1.41= 705v: should be enough for the DRD amplifiers.
You probably will have to use solid state diodes.

Or you can just use the schedule talked about for your 2a3 amp. 1e stage a ccs loaded d3a, coupling C, last stage a standard 300b stage.

greetings, Paul
Old 10th January 2010, 09:52 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Ha ha Jaap,

I think he wants to use the d3a as an amplifier, not a CCS/Mu stage tube.
On the other hand, it is a good schedule, and a good use of the d3a.

On triode dicks page are a number of 300b schedules with d3a and ecc99 or 6n30p.

Triode Dick's Page It is in dutch, but the schematics and pictures are easy to understand. Just click on "projects".
Old 10th January 2010, 10:12 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmillerdoc View Post
Hello,
I was wondering if anybody knew of a great 300B design that uses the D3a as the driver. I have searched this forum and eleswhere but I continue to only come up with a DRD topology.
I think it prudent to ask this question. I don't have time to go into depth now - after my rant in the JEL 300B thread - but Damir's 300B SE Project on the AudioRoundTable Group Build forum may be worth checking out. The project is spread over several sections; I have linked to the pentodes as triodes part. You should be able to find all the sections on that forum - worth a read. Note the CCS on the driver plate - you should be able to simply use your K&K boards here.

Personally, I am thinking of this design - with a few changes - as a basis for my first build.

AudioRoundTable.com: Group Build => 300B SE Project, Part 9 - E180F, E280F, D3a pentodes - triode connected

Cheers
Raymond
Old 10th January 2010, 10:28 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldune View Post
Ha ha Jaap,

I think he wants to use the d3a as an amplifier, not a CCS/Mu stage tube.
I don't think that the D3a is doing anything else than amplifying here

edit: sorry mistake, I thought he was using a triode strapped D3a as amplifier and an other pentode on top (is an option of course)

Last edited by Jaap; 10th January 2010 at 10:50 AM. Reason: stupid mistake
Old 10th January 2010, 10:34 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcdaniel View Post
I think it prudent to ask this question. I don't have time to go into depth now - after my rant in the JEL 300B thread - but Damir's 300B SE Project on the AudioRoundTable Group Build forum may be worth checking out. The project is spread over several sections; I have linked to the pentodes as triodes part. You should be able to find all the sections on that forum - worth a read. Note the CCS on the driver plate - you should be able to simply use your K&K boards here.

Personally, I am thinking of this design - with a few changes - as a basis for my first build.

AudioRoundTable.com: Group Build => 300B SE Project, Part 9 - E180F, E280F, D3a pentodes - triode connected

Cheers
Raymond
When using a CCS on top of the D3a / E810F / E180F / 6H30 / 6N6 / 5842 / or whatever high mu tube/ try to use one or more leds under the cathode. In this way you can get rid of the cathode cap, which is a good thing (to get rid of). Experiment with a small MKP parallel on the led(s) to see if this gives even better sound.
Old 10th January 2010, 11:00 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
When using a CCS on top of the D3a / E810F / E180F / 6H30 / 6N6 / 5842 / or whatever high mu tube/ try to use one or more leds under the cathode. In this way you can get rid of the cathode cap, which is a good thing (to get rid of). Experiment with a small MKP parallel on the led(s) to see if this gives even better sound.
Interesting and helpful suggestion; I will certainly experiment with it. Ultimately, I think my choice will be decided by my sonic preferences, with a few practical requirements for good measure. I have read some threads in which experienced DIYers have tried a range of loading and biasing methods. One DIYer, with much help, used a CCS load with LED bias and initially loved the 'improvement' in many of the usual audio(phile) criteria, yet after some weeks returned to resistor and cap for bias and stayed with it. He felt his amp was simply more musical (this means different things to different people) and enjoyable. Often I have read of old school biasing methods outperforming - in listening tests - more 'modern' approaches.

The moral of my story: if sonic preferences (subjective) are the main basis for one's decision-making, then there is no Only Way. Experimentation, guided by (but not limited to) sound technical info, a little creativity, gut feel, and ones own perception is likely to reward...

Cheers
Raymond
Old 10th January 2010, 11:34 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcdaniel View Post

The moral of my story: if sonic preferences (subjective) are the main basis for one's decision-making, then there is no Only Way. Experimentation, guided by (but not limited to) sound technical info, a little creativity, gut feel, and ones own perception is likely to reward...

Cheers
Raymond
This adventure is the sole reason we are (I am) in this "business" (and spending too much of the family budget on it)
Old 10th January 2010, 11:50 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

The biasing I have seen report of wining out against all comers in side by side preamp tests - is a cathode resistor with supplementary CCS current feed to multiply its voltage drop to an appropriate bias point. I suppose in this case the resistor represents a minimum impedance coupled with intrinsic linearity. Rather like a superior LED bias.

Shoog

Hide this!Advertise here!