My KT88 Williamson Amp Build - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th January 2010, 02:58 PM   #11
Loren42 is offline Loren42  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_345 View Post
i wish i had skilz like that!
Thank you. Those skills were developed over a long time, but no reason you can't do it, too.

Then again, it helps to have a milling machine at your disposal.
Old 10th January 2010, 04:19 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

tube screens.. g1 on o/p tranny wwr ?
or am I ....?

richy
Old 10th January 2010, 04:44 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richwalters View Post
tube screens.. g1 on o/p tranny wwr ?
or am I ....?

richy
Good catch! The schematic symbol is wrong, but the pin numbers on the symbol should be correct for the KT88 and that is how it is wired in circuit.

Pin 3 = Plate
Pin 4 = Screens
Pin 5 = Grid
Pin 8 = Cathode
Old 10th January 2010, 05:35 PM   #14
jlsem is offline jlsem  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren42 View Post
Very shocking. That was not the person I knew him to be at all.
Quote:
When I was in high school I was befriended by this really weird guy
To me he sounds like that person you knew him to be.

I'm sorry, I couldn't help it.

That's a really nice amp. I was just looking at a similar schematic in the GEC amplifier book a couple of weeks ago and was thinking about building one myself. It's a nice straightforward design.

Regards,
John
Old 10th January 2010, 06:07 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

I've updated the original schematic to fix the symbol for the KT88, so it should be correct now.
Old 10th January 2010, 06:11 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
That's a really nice amp. I was just looking at a similar schematic in the GEC amplifier book a couple of weeks ago and was thinking about building one myself. It's a nice straightforward design.

John,

Williamson topology is "classic". The big issue with the topology is instability due to phase shifts. It's good news indeed that Loren has successfully executed Williamson style, while employing moderately priced O/P "iron". This project will add to the lore of Edcor trafos being an excellent value.

Last edited by Eli Duttman; 10th January 2010 at 06:12 PM. Reason: fixed verbiage
Old 10th January 2010, 10:04 PM   #17
john65b is offline john65b  United States
diyAudio Member

Eli,

We have discussed a similar KT88/6SN7 amp on my Magnepan's on another thread- you had concerns over my OPT...Is the Edcor used here preferred over the Hammond 1650N I have?

Are you also in favor of connecting the 6SN7 plates via the UL taps here also as with the 1650N?
Old 10th January 2010, 10:36 PM   #18
john65b is offline john65b  United States
diyAudio Member

Maybe dump/sell the Hammond 1650N and buy the Edcor CXPP100-MS-4.2K? Although I am intrigued with the "Exolinear Topology"
Old 11th January 2010, 01:02 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
We have discussed a similar KT88/6SN7 amp on my Magnepan's on another thread- you had concerns over my OPT...Is the Edcor used here preferred over the Hammond 1650N I have?

John,

IMO, the Edcor CXPP100-MS-4.2K is preferable, if for no reason other than its 100 W. power rating. That rating implies the magnetic headroom needed, when GNFB is used, is available. The CXPP100-MS-3.3K might be a better choice with KT88 "finals".

The Hammond 1650Ns in your possession are (IMO) best mated with PP EL34s or PPP "12" W. types, like the EL84 and 6V6. The 1650N's 60 W. rating leaves little "wiggle room", when mated to KT88s. Doug Piccard's "exolinear" topology is the only thing I can think of, which allows you a 60 W. O/P using that "iron" and KT88s. How bad the freq. resp. aberations will be, I can't say. A no GNFB topology requires VERY linear O/P trafos and I have reservations about Hammond stuff used that way.

Even though both Williamson and Mullard style topologies are both "classic", I prefer Mullard. Mullard style is outright less vulnerable to instability than Williamson is. Loren is to be commended for a satisfactory execution of Williamson style, without employing extremely costly creme de la creme O/P "iron".

Last edited by Eli Duttman; 11th January 2010 at 01:03 AM. Reason: fixed tyo
Old 12th August 2010, 03:24 PM   #20
ptiJean is offline ptiJean  France
diyAudio Member

Greetings from France,

This seems to be a very good work, a nice KT88 Williamson push-pull.

I'm actually thinking of building my own KT88 push-pull, with parts of a defekt Music Angel XD800 amp.

I wish I can reuse the wood+metallic case, the 4 Shuguang KT88 tubes, and the 4 transformers (output + power).

For the rest I'm actually browsing Internet to find a good scheme, and wish to avoid PCB and do direct-wiring.

Could you help me chose the scheme ? What's all about this Williamson ?
What differs it from others ?

I have Tannoy Definition 500 speakers with coaxial 8 inches polypropylene speakers and 8 inches boomer.

Thank you really alot,
Regards

Hide this!Advertise here!