• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

My KT88 Williamson Amp Build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Being unable to find one I was starting a BOM. A bit of a chore when you don't know cap voltage values.
Are the components on the relay board (Filament board) shown on the relay board schematic? Between the 3 schematics, the 2 photos and interconnect .pdf I have a good handle on the parts except for the parts listed as R1›R4 (assuming R5 is the 470K of the relay system), R6›R11 and C3&C4 . What is the role of C5? There are appears to be an extra diode on the board as well.
Also what do you mean by "you still need to elevate the filament AC voltage relative to the high tension"? What relationship are you trying to establish?
This project has really caught my attention. Even my wife thought the amp looked cool ("What are those big blue things at the back?").

This might help…

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Cs was added to the layout as an auxiliary cap in case it was needed. I would have to look to see if it was used as I don't recall if I needed it or not.

Resistors R1 & R2 along with R4 lift the filament supply so that it is closer to the +525 VDC HT voltage to avoid exceeding the maximum heater-cathode voltage rating of the valve. This is done simply by adding a DC voltage bias to the heater supply.

Please note that the relays needed to be mounted on the bottom side of the board because it turns out the relay energizing coils have a polarity and I did not know that when I laid them out. The fix was to mount them on the bottom of the board.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Why not just make the very simple board artwork change so the relays can be mounted correctly instead of kludging it together?

Behold!

I give you Version 1.1

However, I was too cheap to actually throw away the Version 1.0 board after populating it and finding the issue and re-spinning the design and paying another $90 for a prototype board with a one week delay.

If there is enough interest in these boards I will be using the Version 1.1 design.

Hi to all, my name is Nicola.
First of all congraturations for this amp!!! :D:D:D

Few days ago I've finished to build my own SIY speaker (http://goo.gl/mThHlu)
Now I'm looking for an amplifier to build and this is the project is so interesting.

I have only one question... which is the output power of this amp at 8ohm speaker???
I don't need the exact power but only an approximative value. :eek:

tks so much
Nicola

Hi to all, my name is Nicola.
First of all congraturations for this amp!!! :D:D:D

Few days ago I've finished to build my own SIY speaker (http://goo.gl/mThHlu)
Now I'm looking for an amplifier to build and this is the project is so interesting.

I have only one question... which is the output power of this amp at 8ohm speaker???
I don't need the exact power but only an approximative value. :eek:

tks so much
Nicola

50 Watt per channel.

Hi Loren42,

I'm late getting to this thread, but want to add my thanks for posting your design. I do have one question on the schematic. It looks like you don't have any frequency compensation in the circuit, not even the typical lead compensation capacitor across feedback resistor R22. Have you seen any tendency to oscillate at high frequencies? Not questioning the design; just curious about how you made it stable.

Thanks.

Hi Loren42,

I'm late getting to this thread, but want to add my thanks for posting your design. I do have one question on the schematic. It looks like you don't have any frequency compensation in the circuit, not even the typical lead compensation capacitor across feedback resistor R22. Have you seen any tendency to oscillate at high frequencies? Not questioning the design; just curious about how you made it stable.

Thanks.

None whatsoever.

Good advice I received

Could I suggest that you look at the thread 'Parallel push pull KT88', the last few pages. The amp designed there is a different topology, but much was learnt and the performance considerably improved by cautiously exploring the behaviour of the design as GNFB was increased.

Yes, skimpy boy, that's the one. The advice I received was excellent, albeit a little challenging to understand and execute.

Pete Millett also gives a nice description of the high frequency stability and compensation issue in his discussion of his universal push-pull driver board.

Push-pull driver board

About half-way down the page is a section titled "Stability and global NFB." It's a good read.

Hi Loren42,
Great project and good to see that so many people are interested in building an amp from your design.
Only came across this thread today. In case you are looking to get cheap PCBs made, this is the Chinese fabricators I use for cheap prototype PCBs.
PCB prototyping
Quality of the PCB blanks is very good for that price (I design electronic professionally). Not sure what files they can handle for the layout - I send Gerber files as it is the industry standard.
Hope that helps and happy assembly!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.