• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Meng Yue: EL34 or 6P1?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Guys,
I am planning on buying a MengYue amp tonight, but I have 2 contenders: an EL34 at 24 Watts/channel, or a 6p1 with 24 Watts/channel. The 6P1 uses 8 valves, whereas the EL34 uses only 2 at the power stage.
One advantage of the EL34 is that it has less tubes and therefor it would be cheaper to change valves if need be. another one is that probably the circuit is simpler for the EL34.

I think the EL34 is also a little cheaper if I play my cards right (i.e. do the bidding rather than get a buy now version. It may end up being cheaper).

Any ideas of which one would be the better choice? I do assume I have to tinker with it, and they already told me that I could get one for 240Vac (UK), rather than 220Vac (Europe). It would take a little longer but they could arrange it for me. As for the tinkering, I expect I need to check the bias (by the way, can someone tell me how I can check the bias?), and maybe some extra mods like caps on the input etc. ( you may want to gve me some tips on that too...)

Thanks for the help!
Kryn

I own one of the earlier Meng Yue Mini's 6P1 (10W/ch from 2 6P1s/ch).
The first thing I would do, whichever you get, is to check there is a chassis earth for the main 240v, and that you have in fact got a 240v version. Mine is 220v and came with no earth, which appears to be the norm.
I find it hard to believe that they get 24w out of a single EL34, maybe out of the 4 6P1s, although both versions would be well into clipping to reach that figure.
Go here for a rundown on what a few of us have been doing to our Meng's:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/157134-meng-yue-mini-schematic.html

Gary

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.