How to choose an optimal load line for a cathode follwer buffer? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th January 2010, 04:56 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manamanam View Post
Thank you for your analysis and calculations.
These are very helpful.
I just cannot understand how do i determine min and max plate currents. The ECC88 datasheet states typical Ia=25mA. Also the follower is not directly connected to a next stage grid, it is just a buffer to drive a pair of active monitors with 10K input impedance.
Actually states Ia=15mA
Old 10th January 2010, 05:47 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to kavermei
Quote:
Originally Posted by manamanam View Post
I just cannot understand how do i determine min and max plate currents.
After choosing the quiescent point (-7.5V in this example), you follow the load line from the quiescent point up to the Vgk=0V line. That is your maximum positive Ia swing since you don't drive the grid positive. Because the drive signal is symmetrical around the quiescent -7.5V, its minimum is at -15V. So you can read the maximum negative Ia swing from the intersection of the load line with the Vgk=-15V curve.
Old 4th July 2012, 02:46 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Hi. Thank you for all your contributions.

I am still confused about how to plot the load lines in a white cathode follower headphone amplifier
Click the image to open in full size.

If I plot a line between maximum B+ (220V) and the idle conditions at the cathode resistor of the bottom tube (V= 2.4V, I= 8.9 mA) I’ve got this:

That gives an intersection at V=107.2V and I=17.5mA

Is it the curve for the tube at the top or at the bottom?

Last edited by pingfloid; 4th July 2012 at 02:50 AM.
Old 5th July 2012, 01:52 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

I forgot to mention that I wish to learn how to plot the lines in this case because I plan to substitute the output tubes for a couple of 6F8G (the 6SN7 in a big bottle) therefore I have to recalculate the resistors.

Any recommendations will be highly appreciated.
Old 5th July 2012, 03:13 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

The output cap can be smaller say a 47uf so you use a film cap sounds better the 12at7 can be run harder ( more current thru it ) What headphone are you thinking of using ?
Old 5th July 2012, 08:33 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Hi Triodethom.

I have already bought the output electrolytic caps (Jensen Audiograde 500uF/300V)

I am using Sennheiser HD650 (300 Ohm)

I find that if I run more current through the first tube, then the signals at the two output tubes are not balanced. I have found that values playing with Orcad, and the result is a nice symetric figure at the output tubes. Anyway, I will keep mixing values to see if I can find another lucky match running more current at the input tube.
(measuring from grid to cathode at each output tube)

Although I still don't know how this may affect the sound

Last edited by pingfloid; 5th July 2012 at 08:57 AM.
Old 5th July 2012, 02:19 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingfloid View Post
Hi Triodethom.

I have already bought the output electrolytic caps (Jensen Audiograde 500uF/300V)

I am using Sennheiser HD650 (300 Ohm)

I find that if I run more current through the first tube, then the signals at the two output tubes are not balanced. I have found that values playing with Orcad, and the result is a nice symetric figure at the output tubes. Anyway, I will keep mixing values to see if I can find another lucky match running more current at the input tube.
(measuring from grid to cathode at each output tube)

Although I still don't know how this may affect the sound
I would use them as power supply caps. If you go to Broskie site Tube CAD Journal you will see that the output cap can be smaller than 47 uf for the output . That is film size it also saves you some subsonic rumble that muddies the deep bass .

Hide this!Advertise here!