• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Balancing Servo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My next build is going to be a fixed bias class AB using toroidal OPT's. I would like to use a balancing servo circuit to ensure matched DC current at all times. Can anyone recommend a servo circuit for this? I was thinking of designing one which uses current sense resistors and a high voltage Opamp to bias 1 of the tubes to match the other. But wanted to see what other ideas people have come up with first.

Another possibility would be to use a current mirror on the cathodes, but this would make the amp combination bias, which I would like to avoid if possible.

Last edited:
I have a board drawn up implementing a bias servo for balancing two tubes (You set one tube with a pot and the other follows). I used a Broskie circuit. It is similar to the "The Emperor's New Amplifier" servo, but Broskie correctly balanced the time constants in the two low pass filters on the inputs of the op-amp.

Broskie did a couple of autobias articles and then a balance servo for a push-pull output stage. Let me know if you can't find it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.