Ebay KT88 - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th January 2010, 05:32 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agithegreat View Post
Ok as search comes up dead like everytime (possibly due to name changes), i decided to give you guys an ask...
I currently have this amp:
MENG 6P1 6AQ5 x4 Push-Pull Valve Integrated Tube Amp bk on eBay (end time 04-Jan-10 07:18:00 GMT)

I have done no modifications to it at all. I'm very impressed with it, however I feel I could do with some more power, with 50%+ volume my current input (PC via soundcard ,yuck, i know, i'll soon have a DAC to run spdif out of my PC, then convert right next to the amp into analogue) clips, (well starts to distort) visibly with an oscilloscope.
Does anyone have one and wish to pass comment?

Thanks in advance.
I own one of the little Meng Yue 6P1 amps (mine has the styling of the bigger 6P14 but not the tubes).
Feeding it either from the computer or CD player, it plays fairly loud even into some inefficient 8 ohm speakers. At 50% on the control it does (or did, see below) clip audibly, but the volume level was to the point you would have at a boozy party

I have since rebuilt the circuit following Ian444's design (see the Mengyue schematic thread), which has dropped the gain a little but made it a lot cleaner sounding.

Also, remember the decibel math ratios: To double the perceived volume with the same speaker efficiency, you need 10 times the power. In this case you would need to look for an amp that starts to clip at 100w/ch, and I think that rules out all Chinese tube amps.

The alternative is to put the 250 pounds toward a more efficient set of speakers.

Gary
Old 5th January 2010, 02:22 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agithegreat View Post
No it's all built all in one package ready to run. Just plug and play.
That's too bad That would of been a nice little project. You guys know any DIY tube kits like that one??
Old 5th January 2010, 02:40 PM   #13
jrenkin is offline jrenkin  United States
diyAudio Member

It could still be a great little project. Look at the mods in the links in this post, buy the amp, pull it apart and rebuild with point to point wiring, upgraded parts and all and you have a good beginner project. You could even start the rebuild on a bread board and try several possible circuit modifications. Probably more educational than a pcb kit build and you don't need to worry about the chassis.

Hide this!Advertise here!