Plate chokes - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st December 2009, 09:54 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Plate chokes

Greetings everyone and a happy new year!
What are the advantages to using a plate choke vs a resistor in the plate circuit? Besides there being more voltage at the plate, are there any other advantages? How does one choose the size (# of henries) for the choke?

Thanks,
Ray
Old 31st December 2009, 10:19 AM   #2
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

For a given B+, a plate choke will nearly double the possible voltage swing. In some situations, that's important.

Additionally, the choke provides a higher load impedance at high frequencies than a resistor, but not as much as a good constant current source (CCS).

Inductance is a bit trickier to calculate, but as a rule of thumb, choose an impedance at 5-10 times the tube's effective plate resistance. Using the inductance formula (|Z| = 2pi*f*L), calculate the required inductance at the lowest frequency of interest. This will probably give a larger value than you need, but will guarantee that the plate loading doesn't move around much as you go down in frequency.

For me, I would never use a plate choke unless I absolutely needed the swing- they're large, expensive, and subject to all sorts of unpleasant non-ideal behavior. A CCS or gyrator in the plate circuit will outperform any choke in all areas except swing.
Old 31st December 2009, 11:50 AM   #3
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Sy,
Sorry to butt in, newbee to tubes. I thought the CCS was normally a replacement for the cathode resistor. Or does it not matter?

Can you point me to a sketch of using a gryator in the plate? I have been collecting schematics to understand the why's of tube implementation and have not run into this idea.
Old 31st December 2009, 12:43 PM   #4
diyAudio Moderator

A tubee newbee? Cool, than I get to flog Morgan Jones's book one more time- get yourself a copy of "Valve Amplifiers" post-haste. It's the introduction I wish I'd had when I got started with tubes back in the day when LBJ was in the White House. MJ covers these topics, and most everything else you'd want to know about tube design, in exquisite detail.

In any case... a CCS in the plate circuit acts as (essentially) an infinite plate load, which runs the tube at maximum gain (mu) and minimum distortion (horizontal load line). The choke is an approximation to this at frequencies where its impedance is >> plate resistance.

In a cathode circuit, the extremely high Z drops the gain of the stage to unity, which is fine for a cathode follower, but exactly the opposite of what you'd want for a gain stage.

If you do a forum search for "gyrator" and posts by "Wavebourn," you'll find some very clever circuits.
Old 31st December 2009, 12:46 PM   #5
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

@SY

btw. where is Kwayzee Russian these days ?

( I don't have anything to add to rest of your replies )
Old 31st December 2009, 12:49 PM   #6
diyAudio Moderator

Probably working too hard.
Old 31st December 2009, 02:45 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

"Double plus thanks"

Planning on Jones as soon as I finish fighting my way through Finch. My calc is a bit rusty. What is fun is I find myself going for my Dad's old Terman handbook from when he went to school. They did not teach tubes when I went through.

Of course, if we add solid state power supplies, CCS's, then maybe an integrated ss phase splitter, pretty soon we are ready for FET outputs and no longer have a tube amp!
Old 31st December 2009, 02:54 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

OK, OK, ordered both of his books. Looking aththe TOC, his building looks good as I have observed execution can be as important as the circuit. VTL comes to mind. Supurb results with ordinary topology.
Old 31st December 2009, 03:08 PM   #9
diyAudio Moderator

You'll not regret that purchase. MJ is buggy about getting the build right (when viewing my construction efforts, he generally rolls his eyes heavenward). The cover item on VA (the Crystal Palace amplifier) is a model of optimizing very conventional topologies and attention to the details of engineering.

BTW, where in Maryland are you? (UMBC, class of '77)
Old 31st December 2009, 04:36 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Bowie. LHS class of 73.

Hide this!Advertise here!