hammond ao68/7591 question - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2009, 04:20 PM   #1
diyAudio Member
Join Date: Jan 2009
Default hammond ao68/7591 question

I have a Hammond ao68 7591 amplifier. It is a well sorted out unit set up for hifi use, it has an rca input and speaker taps. I would love to install a gain/volume control into it. I will power a center channel speaker with it. I have no schematic, despite looking pretty hard. Anybody have a suggestion on how to proceed?
  Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2009, 08:19 PM   #2
dhaen is offline dhaen  Europe
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
dhaen's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: U.K.

I can't imagine you'd need a schematic to fit a volume control. Wire an (audio-taper) pot of 50k to 100k between the RCA connector and the input stage. Remove the centre connection from the RCA and wire:
CCW>RCA shield (outer)
Wiper>Input stage (the wire you disconnected)
CW>RCA inner (centre pin)
Or you can do the whole thing external to the amp in a little box.

If no one has a schematic, it would be a good exercise to draw one yourself. Download the pinouts of the 7591's and other valves/tubes and have a go. Have a look at a similar amp's schematic for inspiration....
Post the schematic to this thread and we'll tell you if it's more or less correct.
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2009, 12:36 AM   #3
diyAudio Member
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Monroe Township, NJ

It might help if the OP enumerates the tube complement. There may be more gain than necessary for use in a HT rig, which the center channel remark implies. I doubt the OEM envisaged an I/P signal approaching 2 VRMS. It's quite possible that a 51 KOhm padding resistor will be needed in combination with a 50 KOhm control.
Eli D.
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2009, 08:02 AM   #4
dhaen is offline dhaen  Europe
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
dhaen's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: U.K.

I think if Pete uses the added control as a preset, he should have sufficient range of adjustment. He will after all have the main volume control to control the overall level. Of course the 51K will be icing on the cake..

What we don't know is the phasing of the amp. Most are 0 degrees but it could be 180 degrees. If the sound image is distorted he will have to reverse the speaker polarity.
  Reply With Quote


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
newbie question about 7591 cathode bias joshuahhhhhhh Tubes / Valves 3 9th December 2007 04:33 PM
One Question for Hammond 1620 output transformer Menator Tubes / Valves 1 19th March 2007 10:51 PM
Hammond Amp Question jaymanaa Tubes / Valves 11 19th March 2006 02:27 PM
Hammond SE Transformer question alk Tubes / Valves 23 13th May 2004 05:01 AM

New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 02:44 PM.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2017 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2