• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

What's wrong with SE Cad?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If I make the primary load equal to the plate resistance (Rload=rp), DF should be 1. At the secondary side DF should be 1 or less than 1 if we add up Rdc in the transformer. Why is SE Cad telling me that DF is greater than 1 and Zout is less than 8 ohms?
As far as I can see, the transformer has an 8 ohms secondary (10.9 ratio = 950/8).
Could someone please explain why SE Cad calculates such generous output impedance? :confused:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Jan E Veiset

I have not used John Broskie's SE Amp CAD either.

Id seems that it calculates the Z-out from the tube as Rp in parallel with the load Rl. This is as as I understand as per textbook learning - if were to measure at this point.

When we measure at the secondary load, the level with no load is twice the level with 8 ohm load. This should indicate that the internal output impedance is around 8 ohm.

I have simulated this in LtSpice to confirm my estimate.

When we apply a signal to the output load from another generator (with no input signal to the amp), 1 V with an internal impdance of 1k, we measure 4mv across the load, idicating that the output impedance is in fact about 4 ohm as predicted by John Broskies program.

:confused:

SveinB.

Last edited:
You are right. The value Plate Zo is rp in parallel with Rl (dcR included) and these value (Plate Zo) is used to calculate the output impedance and DF.
If I reduce dcR in the transformer to a minimum (still with rp=Rl), output impedance is calculated to 4 ohm / DF=2. Nice result, but I wouldn't call it output impedance [1].
With the load included in the calculations, DF will never be less than 1.

Jan E Veiset

[1] Output impedance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"indicating that the output impedance is in fact about 4 ohm"

I assume this was measured with the load connected. In that case it would look like an 8 Ohm output Z in parallel with the 8 Ohm load giving the 4 Ohm result. But the definition of damping factor is Zload/Zsource (or Zload /Zout) so the damping factor should be around 1 (8/8). ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.