• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Jukebox Iron

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As a christmas holiday project I'm thinking of building a PP el84 based amp.
I have in the shed a chasis from a Rock-ola 429 jukebox, which I got working last weekend and I was thinking of stripping the chassis for the OPT's to use in my el84 project.

Does anyone know what the specs the 429 ( chassis no.41056-A) transformers are?
They have 2,4,8 and 16 ohm speaker taps as well as a 70volt line tap.

Without pulling them out of the chassis i'm after the primary impedance, freq response etc.. if anyone knows?

Cheers.

Do you think there could be a label underneath the transformers, there's certainly nothing on the sides or the top.
Theyre driven by EL84's.

If there's nothing on the top or sides, you may be out of luck in that respect. That said, worth a look. Uhh off the top of my head, I think EL84's in push pull would be around 8K to 10K? You'd have to check some specs on EL84 amps to make sure. Also, just to make sure, do some serious internet trawling to make sure you can find info on the amp. Getting deep in the web can reveal some great stuff.

PS, just realised you never said whether it was Puch Pull or Single Ended (if you don't know what that means, check how many tubes go into each transformer.

Look at it this way, the amp the transformers are in is based upon pairs of EL84s, so it would seem an appropriate use would be in an EL84 based design. Juke boxes generally sound pretty good, so the freq response would be more or less hifi. Even though they often were connected to strings of 8" cieling speakers through a 70v system, the Rockola people and other brands really did try to make a nice sounding box. And certainly you'd have no trouble matching any load you can come up with with all those secondary taps.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.