• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

converting tube rectifier to solid state rectifier.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi,

please help. i converted my 5y3gt rectifier to a IXYS DSEI8 solid state rectifier and the fuse keeps blowing up. i i wired the anodes of the ss diodes to the power trans secondary and wired the cathodes together to the 1st filter cap.

1. did i wire something room? cause ive rechecked.
2.is the sand diode not appropriate

here is the data sheet and scheme.

http://ixdev.ixys.com/DataSheet/DSEI8-06A_DSEI8-06AS.pdf
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/149211-6v6-music-machine-build-help.html

thanks pls help.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I can only surmise one or both of your rectifiers is bad since their 600V peak repetitive reverse voltage rating (VRRM) is far too low for this application.

Based on an off the cuff calculation these diodes probably have over 800VRRM on them at nominal line in your circuit - I would expect they would short more or less instantly under these conditions.

Two of these in series per leg, or a much higher VRRM rated diode is required here. I don't think even 1kV diodes leave enough margin for line transients and other line borne issues.

please help. i converted my 5y3gt rectifier to a IXYS DSEI8 solid state rectifier and the fuse keeps blowing up.
What is your goal in making the conversion?
The tube rectifier has low switching noise and slower startup compaired to SS diodes.

If I were making the conversion, I would completely redesign the power supply using PSUDII, and a regulator if necessary.

Doug

Unrelated to the fuse blowing but important to remember is that the resulting B+ will be quite a bit higher with SS rectification than before. If the B+ is not regulated, this will cause all tubes to run a little "hotter". It will also build up B+ much faster so I would recommend to definitely have a standby switch and allow the tubes to heat up prior to applying B+.

tubo,

how quickly does your fuses blow?

If it happens more or less instantly it might be because of following, your SS rectifier conducts current instantly and when you switch on the power the PS filter caps draws a hefty current at power up, in that case you have to incorporate a soft starter.

couldn't edit my post any more, but...

I had look at the schematic in the first post of your link, if you replace the 5Y3 with SS, you must have 1000 Volt diodes! Your 600 Volt diodes may be dead...

Between point 4 and 6 you have (340+340)*sqr2 ~960 Volt Pk-Pk

Last edited:
hi,

please help. i converted my 5y3gt rectifier to a IXYS DSEI8 solid state rectifier and the fuse keeps blowing up. i i wired the anodes of the ss diodes to the power trans secondary and wired the cathodes together to the 1st filter cap.

1. did i wire something room? cause ive rechecked.
2.is the sand diode not appropriate

here is the data sheet and scheme.

http://ixdev.ixys.com/DataSheet/DSEI8-06A_DSEI8-06AS.pdf
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/149211-6v6-music-machine-build-help.html

thanks pls help.

I believe that you haven'd disconnected the 5V from the circuit. Do this and I think everything will be back to normal, except a higher output voltage. So both the cathodes of the SS diodes will be connected directrly to the common node of the 1uF Capacitor and the 10mH choke.

Chris

Last edited:
Turbo,

If you really want to change to solid state rectifier, then i would check that the 5v heater for the tube recifier has been isolated from the circuit.The piv for the diodes should be rated at least double your secondary voltage, I use 1n4007 or connect 2 in series to make sure as they are cheap enough. You would expect to see an increase in your ht voltage of about the voltage drop thro the 5y3gt, could be as much as 30v. removing the 1uF cap thats there and connecing straight to the choke will turn it into a choke input filter (you would have to check the choke is suitable for choke input) this would lower your ht voltage and provide better regulation. agree psudii is a usefull program and might help you also.

If I were making the conversion, I would completely redesign the power supply using PSUDII, and a regulator if necessary.

I second that.

A first, diodes with appropriate voltage ratings have to be used; and second, a regulator, or at least some source follower with voltage divider and smoothing capacitor have to be used.

I can draw you a schematic if you want.

Lucky you. Honestly. I would kill (a cow) to know that secret. I bet you cryo them blue or something. Can you also make them sound like Mercury?

I don't know what Mercury sounds like, probably similar to water, and I don't put stock in cryo treatment.

Seriously, no need to kill any cows (unless you like steak like me). I remember you posting that you had a bad experience with solid state diodes in another thread. Did you just make a 1:1 swap? How did you do it and what was the PS topology?

What is your goal in making the conversion?
The tube rectifier has low switching noise and slower startup compaired to SS diodes.

Doug

my older version of this amp has a solid state power supply. and i miss the dynamics and speed of that amp. thats why id like to change it. this new version sounds really good but its kinda slow compared to the old one.

Unrelated to the fuse blowing but important to remember is that the resulting B+ will be quite a bit higher with SS rectification than before. If the B+ is not regulated, this will cause all tubes to run a little "hotter". It will also build up B+ much faster so I would recommend to definitely have a standby switch and allow the tubes to heat up prior to applying B+.

should i put a switch to ground at the power trans center tap?

couldn't edit my post any more, but...

I had look at the schematic in the first post of your link, if you replace the 5Y3 with SS, you must have 1000 Volt diodes! Your 600 Volt diodes may be dead...

Between point 4 and 6 you have (340+340)*sqr2 ~960 Volt Pk-Pk

hi id like to replace the diodes with this will they work?
DIODE FRED 1200V 11A TO-220AC - DSEI12-12A

Turbo,

If you really want to change to solid state rectifier, then i would check that the 5v heater for the tube recifier has been isolated from the circuit.The piv for the diodes should be rated at least double your secondary voltage, I use 1n4007 or connect 2 in series to make sure as they are cheap enough. You would expect to see an increase in your ht voltage of about the voltage drop thro the 5y3gt, could be as much as 30v. removing the 1uF cap thats there and connecing straight to the choke will turn it into a choke input filter (you would have to check the choke is suitable for choke input) this would lower your ht voltage and provide better regulation. agree psudii is a usefull program and might help you also.

hi,

i really do not know how to use the psud.. the choke im using is built by heyboer... its a 10h 200ma choke with about 90 ohm dcr. will they work? what other changes do i need if i use the choke input supply? i still do have a couple of 10h 100ma choke and a couple of 18h 40ma choke that is not seeing any use.

also will replacing the 1uf cap with a much lower value accommodate the diode?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.