• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Strange but true...?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey all,

Ok, this is strange. I have this little EL84 push/pull amp running in my bedroom, she's worked flawlessly for years untill a few weeks ago. Started to notice a slight 60Hz hum, not that big of a deal I thought. Trying to figure out where this hum is comming from, so I pulled the CD players RCA's off (running the CD's output directly into amplifier...CD has variable output) and BAM...really loud 60Hz hum!

My question is, why would this start to happen all of a sudden? Bad tube or something? Parden my ignorance...still learning how tube amps work.

Going to check out things further tonight. I do know that the amp is not grounded to a centre tap for earth. Just a two prong plug. This is prob. # one I fear.

Rino

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Re:Strange but true.

Hi,

I have this little EL84 push/pull amp running in my bedroom, she's worked flawlessly for years untill a few weeks ago.

Boy, do I love the way you describe all this.:cool:

Could be a number of things, Rino...a dried out PS cap, a loose cinch connector...?
The cable itself?

And of course since it's a "she" it could be that time of the...oops.

Cheers,;)

Hey guys! Long time no talk, thanks for the reply/s!

Ok, just for fun I attempted to look at her lastnight. Noticed that the noise gets louder as it warms. I was able to add a small jumber from chassis ground to earth ground. I would say that half of the noise went away...cool. The only thing is, since the - of the spk output is tied to the chassis, I used that as the temp grounding point. Now this is the strange part, the channel that has this jumper has the noise, the other doesn't. Pull the jumper and both channels have noise. Also as mentioned, as she warms up (about an hour or so after turn on) the noise gets louder. Starting to wonder if I have (like you said Frank) a bad PS Cap or something...maybe even a bad tube.

I love playing with this stuff...power off of course:nod:

Thanks guys,

Rino

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
KABOUMMM...

Hi,

Rino, is this amp relatively young or is this a vintage sixtier still running on the original PS caps?

If the latter is the case I seriously suspect the PSU...
The tubes usually run like for ever once they make it through the first weeks.

They have never told them what MBTF means, see. ;)

MBTF....

Yup, I'm thinking caps as well. The amp is between new and old (well in the tube world), I suspect that she's an 80's vintage. The amp is actually a prototype of a small independant manufacturer (basement type). Baught it at a pawn shop for 60 bucks, they wanted 200 originally, so what the heck right. Cleaned it up a bit, re-tubed it, touched up some solder joints and have had her working for a number of years. Guess it's time to replace some parts...been really lucky thus far with it (and yes- I can be a cheap S.O.B sometimes:)

Thanks dude,
Rino

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.