Best china amp? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th December 2009, 09:58 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Best china amp?

Hi, I joined the forums in 2001 and did build a Aleph amplifier...Then wife and kids took too much of my time and after a loooong time I'm back searching something to modify/build.

This time I want to go for tubes and was thinking buting something from Ebay/china to modify or rebuild.

So my questions are:

- What is the best "ebay" tube amp in the $400-$600 range, which I could use straight out of the box, and later modify to make it sound better?

- Which has the most "potential"?

- As "metallic" parts are expensive here in Norway, would it be better just to pick up the cheapest one, throw everything out and collect parts and rebuild completly?

Btw. I'm not looking for a lot of power but best sound for the bucks...

-Kaj
Old 11th December 2009, 10:40 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

everyone seems pretty happy with their Suppo el84 units and the price is VERY right! See the recent threads in this board incuding reviews and comments by the builder/designer
Old 11th December 2009, 11:26 PM   #3
Fenris is offline Fenris  United States
diyAudio Member

I second the Suppo. I've e-mailed Joe at Suppo and he'll sell a transformerless version if you ask nicely. It saves alot on shipping, especially if you can source good transformers locally. Difficult to make minor mods to a PCB, but it looks like there's enough room inside to add power supply regulation and DC for the heaters. You could always make a new PCB with your prefered circuit later if you want to experiment.
Old 11th December 2009, 11:52 PM   #4
boudy is offline boudy  United States
diyAudio Member

Default I'm diggin' my Music Angel 845 amp

Unfortunately I haven't had time to compare the Suppo that I recently received.
Old 12th December 2009, 06:19 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarkash10 View Post
everyone seems pretty happy with their Suppo el84 units and the price is VERY right! See the recent threads in this board incuding reviews and comments by the builder/designer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
I second the Suppo. I've e-mailed Joe at Suppo and he'll sell a transformerless version if you ask nicely. It saves alot on shipping, especially if you can source good transformers locally. Difficult to make minor mods to a PCB, but it looks like there's enough room inside to add power supply regulation and DC for the heaters. You could always make a new PCB with your prefered circuit later if you want to experiment.
I'll third that. If you're looking for a good quality, cheap tube amp, these go very well. They sound very good and at the price are fantastic.

You can find my review, as well as a few other reviews and Joe's comments (spaudio) here - Review of First Suppo Audio Offering
Old 12th December 2009, 11:21 PM   #6
Koifarm is offline Koifarm  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

My best sound for the bucks is:

Audioromy FU13

Click the image to open in full size.

Look at the links below:

Audioromy 838A FU13 - AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

Audioromy FU13 (813) diagram and mods

Roehren-und-Hoeren :: Thema anzeigen - Audioromy 813-SE

Roehren-und-Hoeren :: Thema anzeigen - ich möchte für den audioromy fu-13 nochmal ´ne lanze brechen

After listen to yaqin MC10l, MC100B, MC300b, 6v6, 5881,Yarland 34A3, Meng yue P14, Audioromy EL34, shanling sp80 and some europaen amps. I like the audioromy FU13 the most. But this is my personal opinion. You must listen for yourself. But this amp has already a lot of fans all over the world.

Ronny

Hide this!Advertise here!