Tube-I-zator SRPP DAC I/V-Stage circuit discussions - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th December 2009, 10:31 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Oliver

What if the DAC is V-out which usen a single tube, dual triod...?
Old 13th December 2009, 10:42 AM   #12
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

More fundamental question- why an SRPP in the first place? You're throwing away linearity and S/N to achieve.... what?
Old 13th December 2009, 12:00 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to dvb projekt
Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
More fundamental question- why an SRPP in the first place? You're throwing away linearity and S/N to achieve.... what?
As i wrote, i had insert this stage in my DAC project and being absolute satisfied of the sound.
Because i am not a developer, i could only state about the sound performance and not to any technical data from a SRPP or other stages.
BTW, for me the only interesting thing.
We could discuss so much about linearity, NonOverSapling yes or no etc., but this is not the part of this thread.

Here i would like to focus question around this circuit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabanyayaya View Post
Oliver

What if the DAC is V-out which usen a single tube, dual triod...?
I dont see any problem to integrate this circuit after a V-Out DAC.
You must only insert a small capacitor around 0,47F between the V-Out DAC and the input of the PCB.
Old 13th December 2009, 12:27 PM   #14
Koifarm is offline Koifarm  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Here is a little excel application where you can calculate the output impedance of several tubes in a srpp stage.

http://www.ict-net.net/tube.xls
Old 13th December 2009, 12:45 PM   #15
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Here i would like to focus question around this circuit.
Well, my question was specifically about this circuit. So I'll ask again- since you're decreasing linearity and degrading signal-to-noise compared to a simple voltage amplifier, and at the same time you've increased parts count and complexity, what is the advantage of this circuit? Unless the motivation for this topology is explained, how can anyone suggest improvements?
Old 13th December 2009, 12:59 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
...what is the advantage of this circuit? Unless the motivation for this topology is explained, how can anyone suggest improvements?
i think the advantages of the circuit to normal standard SS output stages in most of all CD-Players and DACs you could read allover the net, also in this forum.

If you would like, i could give you the link
Old 13th December 2009, 01:05 PM   #17
diyAudio Moderator

Please do.

But... my question was not advantages over a poorly-designed SS output stage, my question was the advantage over a much simpler, properly designed common-cathode voltage amplifier stage (or, for that matter, a well-designed simple SS output stage). SRPP is useful for large signal swing applications (which this certainly isn't), but trades off linearity and gain to achieve that. So, for the extra parts count and complexity, the performance for the 2V or so of a digital source would seem to be degraded. If you can point me to data to the contrary, I'd be grateful.
Old 13th December 2009, 01:30 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

HERE you could read the experiances from other members.

For you again, i am not a developer to answer questions about different stage technics.
I opened this thread around the SRPP Tube-I-zator circuit.
For any questions beyond, there are threads like the linked thread, where you get answers to your question.

Regards,
Oliver
Old 13th December 2009, 03:02 PM   #19
danzup is offline danzup  Romania
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Well, my question was specifically about this circuit. So I'll ask again- since you're decreasing linearity and degrading signal-to-noise compared to a simple voltage amplifier, and at the same time you've increased parts count and complexity, what is the advantage of this circuit? Unless the motivation for this topology is explained, how can anyone suggest improvements?
Sy : I think the improvements is in sound and it is only in the ears and not in measurements !
( As a friend of mine say : I do not care about measurements and benchmarks and oscilloscope but I always care about what I hear : the music ! )
Some time we tend to be to precise and academic .....
Old 13th December 2009, 04:07 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

I really do understand SYs questions, but I dont think I fully understand the answers?.

Could the reason for the SRPP be that it is (very close to?) a circuit used by Audio Note? AFAIK Audio Note are extremely careful when designing circuits, and I know that Mr. Fikus is a big fan of Audio Note. Mr. Fikus has made a lot of experiments and maybe this type of tube circuit is the best for his ears?

However, in the other thread which Oliver links to, DIYAudio member regal (#48) shows a SET stage which he claims to be superior to the SRPP circuit. Might be something like this SY has in mind?

Have anybody tried both topologies against each other?

Karsten

Hide this!Advertise here!