mains overvoltage what to do? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th December 2009, 10:11 AM   #1
tubo is offline tubo  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Default mains overvoltage what to do?

hi,

my mains voltage is up to about 125vac and my power trannys primary is only rated at 115vac and that causes my B+ supply to be higher.

i did put a 10ohm 10watt resistor on each Hot and Neutral and it lowered the voltage down to 116vac.

1. is this the right way of lowering down the mains voltage?
2. will it cause problems?
3. will a bucking transformer be better?if so what?

thanks

ivan
Old 9th December 2009, 10:14 AM   #2
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

your 115Vac transformer should be designed to work with the normal range of mains voltages.

Your B+ is the problem. Sort after the transformer.

Check your voltmeter accuracy and if your mains is always high, ask the supplier to investigate.
Old 9th December 2009, 01:41 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

ANSI C84.1 limits the long-term voltage at your panel to +/-5% (114-126). So technically there is nothing wrong with your voltage, but 125V over a period of days is a tad hot, IMO. Incandescent lighting has a shortened life this high.

It is my experience that the utility is able to both hold regulation better than +/-5%, and can adjust taps so your nominal is closer to 118V. You may consider making a phone call; it costs you nothing, and the utility is required by the PSC to at least investigate.

I did this very thing a week ago, but my voltage was ranging between 113-116V at the panel, with harmonic distortion in excess of 5%. Some of my equipment was running near 108V after my isolation transformer. They are planning on correcting this.
Old 9th December 2009, 02:29 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

What is the topology of your PS filtering? CLC, CRC, etc......
Old 11th December 2009, 12:20 AM   #5
jjman is offline jjman  United States
diyAudio Member

OP is listed as in the Philippines. I don't know the exact voltage range they consider acceptable nor if making any calls to the authorities would be fruitful. I've heard of varying degrees of success with such phone calls in the USA. I'm at 123 and have read 127 at times here in NJ.
Old 11th December 2009, 08:53 AM   #6
Ian444 is offline Ian444  Australia
diyAudio Member

Makes one wonder if a SMPS delivering B+ regulated might become welcome in the valve amp world?
Old 11th December 2009, 10:45 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian444 View Post
Makes one wonder if a SMPS delivering B+ regulated might become welcome in the valve amp world?
Ay, this is my philosophy. Switch mode doesn't come without a brain storming tag plus EMC. The performance is excellent but to keep the whole darned thing to size in a chassis is the main challenge. The best tackle is to use SMD to reduce space but I don't like working submin with strong glasses.

richy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pfc closeup1.jpg (71.9 KB, 56 views)
Old 11th December 2009, 10:49 AM   #8
AJT is offline AJT  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubo View Post
hi,

my mains voltage is up to about 125vac and my power trannys primary is only rated at 115vac and that causes my B+ supply to be higher.

i did put a 10ohm 10watt resistor on each Hot and Neutral and it lowered the voltage down to 116vac.

1. is this the right way of lowering down the mains voltage?
2. will it cause problems?
3. will a bucking transformer be better?if so what?

thanks

ivan
hi,
you can always file a complaint with Meralco,or your service providser, they are under obligation to correct the line voltage.....are you in the Clark, Pampanga area? afaik, that is the last remaining place where such service is maintained due to previous presence of american military bases in that area...

Hide this!Advertise here!