• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Jean Hiraga SE Amplifier Power Supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dear All,

I would like to build the SE ampli based on KT88 from Jean Hiraga. I am king of new of the business, but it looks to me that there is something wrong in the design of the power supply:

1) The specs of the rectifier impose a maximum capacitor after the tube of 33uF, while in the design there is a 100uF capacitor.

2) If I simulate the power supply with PSU 2, imposing a load of 200 mA there is no way I get the 375 V required.

I am not an expert, I was wondering if some of you built this amplifier, and if you had problem in the power supply.

Best Regards,

Davide

look like is dual mono psu , as there is a 100ma on kt88 and the choke is rated 150ma....

not expert I need to learning how design a tube psu , but 100µ is too big, and small value is better as low peak current ,to lower the ripple better add second filter stage...

the reflect impedence/resistence of trafo is important, to avoid ringind and overshoot and tube want to see a min resistence from trafo (tribute-audio trafo a in 700 ohm range)
the choke resistence play for final voltage...look like is better usa last filter with R to separate the channel and set the rigth B+

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.