Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Iron loaded preamp, any thoughts?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th December 2009, 01:07 PM   #1
hollow_man is offline hollow_man  Europe
diyAudio Member

Default Iron loaded preamp, any thoughts?

After much frustration with a 6H6Π LTP design intended for SE to balanced conversion, this is my new line stage plan. Please openly comment/suggest!
Attached Images
File Type: gif Clipboard01.gif (24.1 KB, 558 views)
Old 6th December 2009, 01:28 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Mind you, them 6j5's, they don't go cheap eh? Not to mention the god**mn Lundahls, but will it play music?
Old 6th December 2009, 01:44 PM   #3
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

did you calculate gain ?

anyway - I like big xconductance tube in that position .....

WOT preamp and battery charger
Old 6th December 2009, 01:59 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

x19 from 6j5 = 25.5dB
-2.5dB from shunt volume control
-13dB from tranny
=9.6dB, if I am correct.
Old 6th December 2009, 02:21 PM   #5
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollow_man View Post
x19 from 6j5 = 25.5dB
-2.5dB from shunt volume control
-13dB from tranny
=9.6dB, if I am correct.
Old 6th December 2009, 04:31 PM   #6
martyh is offline martyh  United States
diyAudio Member

HI,

I built a transformer coupled pre that was originally going to use 6j5Gs but sticker shock got me to wire it for ˝ 6sn7. I still used two tubes but set it up so that the two channels used opposite triode sections. That actually worked out pretty well as I was able to get some good tube matches by swapping channels.
Old 6th December 2009, 05:14 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I thought of that too Martyh, and I think it's a sound idea if you have access to good 6sn7's. How is the sound? and what trannies did you use?
Old 6th December 2009, 06:26 PM   #8
martyh is offline martyh  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I thought of that too Martyh, and I think it's a sound idea if you have access to good 6sn7's. How is the sound? and what trannies did you use?
I used a couple of types of vintage transformers, originally some rcas that were built by utc. They were very nice in the midrange but were limited on the bottom end, I switched them pretty quickly for utc ha133s which were much better in that regard.

My long term commercial reference is an ARC LS2, compared to that the sound was warm and full bodied but not in a bloated way. More musical is probably a good way to describe the difference. Vocals in particular had an uncanny realism compared to my reference, more of a “they are here” than a “you are there” presentation if that makes any sense

I listened to it until my marginal filament supply died and rather than rebuild it I am using the output transformers for a version using the 26. I’ve set that up so that if I can’t get the 26s quiet I can switch back to 6sn7s using the unregulated supplies and call it a day. I’m hoping that the 26s give me more of the more I got with transformer coupling but I really enjoyed the 6sn7s and if I need to switch back I’m ready to call it day in my preamp search.
Old 6th December 2009, 07:23 PM   #9
Bandersnatch is offline Bandersnatch  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
After much frustration with a 6H6Π LTP design intended for SE to balanced conversion, this is my new line stage plan. Please openly comment/suggest!
What about the LTP 6H6Π circuit frustrated you so thoroughly? Just curious, I'm currently listening to a linestage with 6S4Π-EB as LTP and loaded with 20k:600 output TX's and find it quite nice.
cheers,
Douglas
Old 6th December 2009, 10:11 PM   #10
zigzagflux is offline zigzagflux  United States
diyAudio Member

Ditto, currently listening to a PP 6n6p linestage into amorphous Lundahl. Sheer bliss. What kind of problems? Those little tubes are like tanks; no noise, hiss, or hum, and never had a problem with RF or oscillation. They like their current, tho.

Not meant to distract from your topic.

Iron loaded preamp, any thoughts?Hide this!Advertise here!