• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

pi filter variations

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
'Hope the following image is legible...

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

A is the typical choke pi filter. B has the choke on the ground side. C has both. I can't model either B or C in PSUD (as far as I can tell anyway). So a few questions:

1. Is there any disadvantage to B? It seems like a good option for situation when choke doesn't have a high enough voltage rating.

2. Does C have any advantage over A or B? Or would two such chokes, say of equal inductance, be equivalent to having one choke (as in either A or B) of twice the inductance?

Thanks for any help.

There is not really any disadvantage to B, in fact it is chosen for the very reason you cite. Of course, circuit common must come off the negative end of the second filter cap.

C might be a tad bit advantageous in reducing common mode noise, but power chokes are somewhat limited in their ability to block RF. C is what I use in my preamp.

For the purposes of PSUD, there is no difference between A and B, and to model C you add the inductances of each individual choke, modeling it exactly the same as A and B.

Attachments

• 274-2.gif
    274-2.gif
    11.8 KB · Views: 220
2. Does C have any advantage over A or B? Or would two such chokes ...

As drawn and explained in the original post, separate (two) chokes for "C" would be the same as doubling A or B. There would be no advantage to C.

However, if C used a single core with dual windings, it would act as a common-mode choke as illustrated by nicoch46.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.