• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

input sensitivity for Tube Lab Simple SE

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I built open baffles with powered (plate amp-200 W) H frame (Martin J kings design) and my simple se in a large room will play cleanly to 98 dB. will play somewhat distorted to 104 dB I'm using the edcor GXSE (midprice $60 /pair).
I get almost ? full volume not using a preamp and driving my simple se with just the cd player.
Using a mp3 player possibly not quite as loud.
I believe the standard output is 2V for cd players?
Paul

The absolute sensitivity can vary quite a bit. The biggest influence is the connection of the OPT, UL is more sensitive than triode. Next is the use of CFB or not, followed by the choice of output tube. The EL34 is more sensitive than the KT88 and the 6L6GC is in between. The type of 12AT7 and the efficiency of the OPT also affect the sensitivity.

The amp is designed such that under the worst case (KT88 in triode with CFB) the amp can be driven to clipping with a CD player (about 2 V p-p) In the other extreme (EL 34 in UL without CFB) the sensitivity can be as high at .75 V p-p.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.