230-115V step down transformer earthing - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th December 2009, 10:12 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 230-115V step down transformer earthing

OK following advice from a coupe of weeks ago (original post here), I bought a couple of 230V to 115V stepdown transformers to run a native 115V jukebox power transformer.

THE stepdown is a commerical item (ex-Korea) using a toroidal transformer. The 230V side was supplied through a two-core flex with no earth line (even though the case is steel!). I have since put a three pin IEC socket in the back and safety earthed the case. It is fused!

The output terminates at a pair of US pattern line outlets, and so again has no earth.

QUESTION: For ether safety or avoiding earth loops between the amp this will supply and source devices, should I fit IEC outlets and earth them to the safety earth?

Cheers!

Last edited by aardvarkash10; 5th December 2009 at 10:15 AM.
Old 5th December 2009, 10:52 AM   #2
Colt45 is offline Colt45  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Colt45
Does the juke have a connector that wants safety ground?

If it does, sure, otherwise I wouldn't bother.

Hide this!Advertise here!