tubelab simple se: increasing the drive - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st December 2009, 03:42 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default tubelab simple se: increasing the drive

When I have the simple se hooked up to a tube preamp it is giving full output with the volume control at about the 12:00 position.
When I have (the other) simple se hooked up that has its own volume control driven by a cd player the volume control is all the way up, and possibly not quite as full volume as when driven by the preamp. Even less loud when drivin by a mp3 player.
Also, not sure but the power transformer is warmer (still not "hot").
My questions are:
Does the amp (power and output transformers) work harder to make music of a certain loudness when not using a pre amp ( or using a unity gain preamp)?

Is it possible to switch the 12AT7 tube for a slightly higher gain tube (12 AX7 or 5751) for higher gain if not using a pre amp?
Thanks,
Paul
Old 1st December 2009, 04:18 AM   #2
Cassiel is offline Cassiel  Libya
diyAudio Member

To the first question: LOL
To the second: yes, if cd output not enough to get max watts a switch to 12ax7 would help.
Old 1st December 2009, 04:41 AM   #3
Cassiel is offline Cassiel  Libya
diyAudio Member

On a second thought I think something is wrong somewhere. If I'm not mistaken the amp's sensivity is pretty good, almost the full mu of the driver tube (CSS). What's your output tube ?
Old 1st December 2009, 05:23 AM   #4
rknize is offline rknize  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to rknize Send a message via Yahoo to rknize
I am scratching my head here, but I think you are comparing apples to oranges. The SSE has a lot of gain...plenty to drive to output stage well into clipping using "line level" inputs. What size pot are you using the SSE #2? I suspect that either it is not hooked-up right (wiper should be on the amp side) or the portable player doesn't have enough drive to get past the lowered input impedance from volume control.

Are you asking why the two SSEs seem to have different gain or why the CD player can't drive the amp? What happens if you connect the CD player to the amp with no volume control?
Old 1st December 2009, 01:39 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

The simple se I made with a volume control is for my brother. He plays his music pretty loud. So I am using KT88's and 6550's. I'm using a JJ (Tesla) 12at7.
Pretty sure it's wired correctly. It is a 50 Kohm pot.
It plays quite loud. I can easily hit 105 dB peaks on Open Baffle (audio nirvana) with MJK's H frame 18" woofer
( with B&K plate amplifier below 160 Hz).
It's just that with the vol pot all the way up, it's possibly not quite as loud, as with a pre amp ( with vol control half way up-- any higher and distortion is quite apparent).
Not a big deal, as it does sound great, and does play quite loud. I don't usually listen to music that loud, but my brother does. If so, is he completely out of headroom, where as if using a preamp, or different input tube, would the headroom (when playing loud!!) be better?
Thanks,
Paul
Old 1st December 2009, 01:42 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

cd player doesn't have a vol control, so I can't connect it to the amp that doesn't have a vol control
Thanks,
Paul
Old 1st December 2009, 03:55 PM   #7
rknize is offline rknize  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to rknize Send a message via Yahoo to rknize
It sounds to me like your portable CD player does not have enough drive and/or enough gain, but you could confirm this by hooking the 2nd amp up to your preamp. If it works fine, then you know. What sort of CD player is this? Like a Discman or something?

I've been running my SSE directly off of my SqueezeBox for several months now while I renovate my basement. About 80% volume puts the amp into the onset of clipping. At 90% the clipping is noticeable.

Are you running the output stage in triode or UL? With or without CFB? If you run UL with no CFB, you will end up with more overall gain.
Old 1st December 2009, 04:11 PM   #8
DougL is offline DougL  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pforeman View Post
Not a big deal, as it does sound great, and does play quite loud. I don't usually listen to music that loud, but my brother does. If so, is he completely out of headroom, where as if using a preamp, or different input tube, would the headroom (when playing loud!!) be better?
Thanks,
Paul
If your brother wants more voltage gain for his system, it is better to add a (tube) preamp. I would look at CCDA from John Broskie's Guide to Tube Circuit Analysis & Design.

Changing the input tube on a Simple SE will probably have major sonic impact.
Off the top of my head, here are some of the challenges.
A 12AX7 can only have a couple of mA of current. This is probably not enough to drive a 6550 miller capacitance, thus rolling off the high frequencies to one extent or another. Adding a source follower to compensate is possible, but may require an extra power supply.

Point is, this is more than a tube swap. its a partial redesign. George could tell you more, but that's my best guess.

HTH

Doug
Old 1st December 2009, 08:20 PM   #9
tomchr is online now tomchr  United States
diyAudio Member

Are you sure the preamp has unity gain with the volume control past 12 o'clock?

If the max gain of the preamp is indeed unity gain, it sounds like the volume pot of the SimpleSE either isn't wired correctly or is loading the source too hard. The resistance of the volume pot should be on the order of 22~100 kOhm.

~Tom

Hide this!Advertise here!