• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Motorola 3 channel Tube Amp from Console

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2005
Paid Member
Anyone know these Motorola Tube amps? Picked up a Motorola Console from the early 60 the other day. I took a peek inside and saw the tubes, so I got a little enthusiastic...

3 Channel jobbies - 2x fronts and a single bass channel, and a separate Reverb and preamp unit, as well as a tuner.

L/R Front Channels - (4) 6BM8 (ECL82) Push Pull
Bass Channel - (2) 6BQ5 (EL84) with single 12AX7 Push Pull
Reverb - (2) 6BM8 with single 12AX7

Preamp has two 12AX7 - one for preamp stage other for tone control

Tuner looks to be in great condition, but I don't care to do anything with it..although the power tranny looks nice and clean...

Anyway, hooked up the Motorola amp and its preamp (also with tried the amp with a JFET BOZ) on my B&W DM220i and it sounded just OK. I really didn't expect much since its almost 50 years old (build date is 1962)...but it was unlike my Magnavox 6V6 PP from a console I found a while back that sounded incredibly nice right off the bat...

Anyway, anyone with advice to strip the parts and build something new, or mod what I have? Leaning toward building a new amp around PP EL84...

By the way all six 6BM8 (ECL82) say "Made in Great Britain" and have the Mullard Coding:

OG2
BOH

These worth anything?? All test excellent on my Knight 600 tester...

Recommend at a minimum replacing the electrolytic caps - guarenteed those are shot. Also, clean the sockets and pots and check the remaining components for values (resistors and caps can drift with age). Depending on the condition of the wires, they may need replacement. And watch the transformers, the potting resin may have degraded with age.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Been a bit busy, but here are some pics of the amp and preamp. There's also the little VIBRASONIC reverb thingy....

Attachments

• P1010001.JPG
    P1010001.JPG
    713.3 KB · Views: 718
  • P1010002.JPG
    P1010002.JPG
    677.5 KB · Views: 587
  • P1010003.jpg
    P1010003.jpg
    608.8 KB · Views: 557
  • P1010004.JPG
    P1010004.JPG
    590.1 KB · Views: 538
95% sure this is the very same set-up in my fathers old console, which is sitting in a basement covered with a ton of stuff. Had a single 15 inch driver and something like 2 x 6inch + 2 x 2inch drivers or something. Nearly all open back. Stopped working like 15 years ago.

It always amazed me how this thing shook the house. The Vibrasonic thing was odd to me. I guess you could say it's a reverb of sorts (never liked it personally)

Lots of Christmas music played though it mostly over 35 years. Fond memories.

Hi Everyone,Greetings from Jax Fl.I'm new to your site and very glad to be a part of it.I am not sure if I'm doing this properly yet so if not please correct me.I also just aquired an early I think 60s model Motorola 3 channel console and have a few questions I would like to pose.First up ,the #s on this tube amp are HS780b I know very little about this.Mostly wattage rating,also this unit was a record player only,no tuner and I cant find a pre-amp at all. the turntable was pluged directly into the amp.My other question is can I use a much newer pre amp in this inputs or can I just plug a source into these inputs?Any input would be appreciated greatly.I would like to let you all know that I am very new to the world of tube amps and want to learn as much as I can about them.I am however smart enough to have read the postings about how dangerous these things can be and the what to and what not to do's about them.I would also like to say that all that info was very useful and I will probably grow a lot older from having that kind of information available to me.The tubes in this amp are ELC82 and 12AX7s if that helps.All you folks have a great weekend.Thanks for any help you send my way.Rob.

Hi Everyone,Greetings from Jax Fl.I'm new to your site and very glad to be a part of it.I am not sure if I'm doing this properly yet so if not please correct me.I also just aquired an early I think 60s model Motorola 3 channel console and have a few questions I would like to pose.First up ,the #s on this tube amp are HS780b I know very little about this.Mostly wattage rating,also this unit was a record player only,no tuner and I cant find a pre-amp at all. the turntable was pluged directly into the amp.My other question is can I use a much newer pre amp in this inputs or can I just plug a source into these inputs?Any input would be appreciated greatly.I would like to let you all know that I am very new to the world of tube amps and want to learn as much as I can about them.I am however smart enough to have read the postings about how dangerous these things can be and the what to and what not to do's about them.I would also like to say that all that info was very useful and I will probably grow a lot older from having that kind of information available to me.The tubes in this amp are ELC82 and 12AX7s if that helps.All you folks have a great weekend.Thanks for any help you send my way.Rob.

Rob,

Member Tom Bavis may have the schematic for your unit in his extensive collection. The schematic is necessary to planning a restoration.

That unit employed a ceramic cart. on the TT. You should have no problem in connecting a CDP to the I/Ps. AAMOF, it's likely you will have to attenuate the CDPs O/P.

Hi Eli D,This is robert the new guy.I appreciate the information and was wondering how to go about contacting this Tom B that you mentioned?Can you please tell me what CDP means and AAMOF.I dont wish to sound stupid but I do not text and you just went strait over my head.I have to learn things the hard way.I would also like to mention that the TT from this unit seems to be in pretty good shape and is all there,the info I can find is,motorola golden voice.Stamped on the bottom is PS274 and it was built in Gr. Britan.The cabinet from this piece was beyond help so it has been salvaged.My point is that if any of you are trying to restore one of these consoles this TT is yours.I have no need for it at all and just dont want to toss it out.If this can help one of you out figure the best way to get it to yourself and I will box it up and hand it to the shipper that has come to get it.Have a good day folks and again Thanks for your help.Robert.

I think you have the same model Motorola that I have.I picked this beauty up about twenty years ago at a garage sale for 35 bucks!!!! Does it have a fifteen inch woofer smack dab in the middle and two six by nines off to the right and left behind these cool as hell draped doors? Is the solid wood cabinet made by Drexel Furniture?? Does the turntable slide out from behind the right door??? The one I bought,needed only a switch cleaning and a turntable dee gluing.Even the platter drive idler was still nice and supple.Don't bastardize,or part it out!!!!! Just sayin..... This all tube console rocks!!!! Even the cool as hell green tuning eye still works!!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.