• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Which tubes are lowest noise?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In a friend's mm/mc preamp(project) lowest noise from some ECC83 we tried,surprisingly was a nos Hitachi 7025.Of the new versions the sed winged-c 12ax7 was very good.He ended with both plus a third pair of brimars.Best sounding was the brimars,but we haven't tried all.

The valve isnt the only source of noise, great care should be taken with routing of wires and power supply configuration. I always use DC heater supplies too.

I noticed with the valve in a none screened case that it picked up radiated emissions quite badly.
A good earthed metal box does the trick.

The above goes without saying, or should be obvious. Yet, tubes noise, or noise to amplification ratio, should be considered as well.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Unfortunate that you are restricting yourself to dual triodes as there are a whole crop of high transconductance single triodes and triode connected pentodes that are a great deal quieter, and offer as good or better linearity.

Examples: 5842/417A, D3A, C3G/C3M, 6688, 7788, and so on... These devices all have transconductances an order of magnitude or more greater than an ECC83, an rp 3 - 5% of the typical ECC83, and equivalent internal noise resistances in most cases of less than 100 ohms. Passive components and the cartridge become the dominant noise sources in the system, and in some cases the tubes in question are not very expensive. There are a number of interesting Russian types as well, you'll need to do a bit of research to identify them as I don't remember the type numbers off the top of my head.

For line stage duty the 5687 (a dual triode) is a pretty good choice as well, and may be used in the later stages of a phono pre-amp as well, but mu is relatively low.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thanks Kevin. I stopped restricting myself to dual triodes. However, in tubes data sheets there's no noise figure, so I need recommendations from experienced people.

Hi Joshua,
Types designed specifically for low noise applications will typical list their equivalent noise resistance - the lower the better.. The best performing devices have equivalent noise resistances of a couple of hundred ohms or less. To get an idea of their noise in nvrtHz use the same equation you would for a resistor.

The D3A is my current choice for a quiet tube. (Available on eBay for < $15 typically, and it will probably outlast you in service.. :) )

Unfortunate that you are restricting yourself to dual triodes as there are a whole crop of high transconductance single triodes and triode connected pentodes that are a great deal quieter, and offer as good or better linearity.

Examples: 5842/417A, D3A, C3G/C3M, 6688, 7788, and so on... These devices all have transconductances an order of magnitude or more greater than an ECC83, an rp 3 - 5% of the typical ECC83, and equivalent internal noise resistances in most cases of less than 100 ohms. Passive components and the cartridge become the dominant noise sources in the system, and in some cases the tubes in question are not very expensive. There are a number of interesting Russian types as well, you'll need to do a bit of research to identify them as I don't remember the type numbers off the top of my head.

For line stage duty the 5687 (a dual triode) is a pretty good choice as well, and may be used in the later stages of a phono pre-amp as well, but mu is relatively low.

Most of the tubes you mentioned are pentodes. Aren't pentodes less linear than triodes?

Again, aren't pentodes less linear than triodes?

Again, they were recommending pentodes strapped as triodes. When triode-strapped, pentodes behave like triodes.

Pardon me for raining on your parade, but if you don't know that yet, are you really capable of making designs that exploit these tubes' best chracteristics? Maybe you should be looking to published designs first?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.