• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

transformer coupled plate follower

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
transformer coupled plate follower

short and sweet................... can i use small wall wart transformers back to back

For what? :D

I don't like them for power, and as a substitute for an OPT it would be far worse, twice the leakage inductance, core loss, stray capacitance, etc.

You really ought to consider a proper plate to line or interstage transformer. Alternately a small power toroid might work in a CCS loaded parafeed arrangement. I would use one with a low step down ratio if you need gain. Not guaranteed to work and you should use a tube with really low rp as well.

Shoog might have some further insights.

What do you mean by a "plate follower"? Being a Brit you ought to use the word "anode". Do you mean an amplifying stage in which the output from the anode is fed back to the grid, which is the proper usage of the phrase ; or do you mean a common cathode stage which doesn't have this connection?

"Yowww"? What does that mean? I speak several languages but that doesn't appear in any of them. I have no idea whether a wall-wart would work in that position or not, but then I've never followed the fashion for using transformers everywhere. I can remember when colleagues in my DIY audio circle assured me that using inductors in my power supplies would "slow" everything down. Then, a year later, they had chokes everywhere, followed by an unshakeable belief in transformer-tapped volume controls a bit later.
As you seem fairly gung-ho why noyt just try it?

Using back to backs will multiply an already high interwinding capacitance nanoFarads aught to be expected.
Toroidals as a step down parafeed will work and sound fine. As a stepup for extra gain don't expect anything but terribly rolled off highs. I went off parafeed due to the limitations of the parafeed cap.

Shoog

yes..........they stopped using transformer inversion in the 20s, but started to use interstage again in the 70s.

as you say gun ho so I think I will try to by pass the transformers with a cap and some resistor when I try it out.

PS it is a safe pre-amp metal RF skinned with a ply with sleeve, all switches have long spindles, make before break up rated etc etc.................

so I will be trying just about everything that can go in it.

Well you can have some gain with an anode follower depending on the ratio of the feedback to the input resistor but I have no idea what the Tubecad circuit is supposed to achieve. I've only seen detailed discussion of anode followers in radio circuit books much like the real "grounded grid" circuit (NOT the misnamed Rozenblit version of the cathode -coupled amplifier).

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Hello Pointy, if you mean as the output transformer then you will find it to be virtually useless in that role.

Also, the circuit as illustrated was likely documented to show that which is theoretically possible. However, as has been stated above, it is not a very useful circuit in real terms.

If you configure your test box to be able to tackle common cathode, cathode follower, SRPP, long-tail pair, and cascode then you will have many interesting nights of experimentation ahead of you.

... and just forget about that particular Broskie circuit!

it was something more to wire up to a selector switch............

as i say it should be safe to try a few things......and the pre-amp build with the se power amp have only cost me about £30 to £40s so far(all i have left to do is fit the RCAs and 2 more pots).

What i'm doing is hav'ing a look at all the types of circuit that i may like to use (switchable)
in a stereo pre-amp one day(not X over because that can be done with a graphic equalizer), so i thought i would try them all out on the cheap to start with.

PS thanks gordy....................................that looks about

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.