Test & Measurement interface for Soundcard - Page 50 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st March 2012, 12:54 AM   #491
diyAudio Member

Default Complete kit available

I've had many requests to source a complete parts kit for this. Especially outside the US, a few of the parts can be a little difficult to get. So, I went ahead and put together a few kits. They are on eBay:

Complete DIY Kit - Sound Card Interface / RMS Voltmeter | eBay

Pete
Old 31st March 2012, 06:59 AM   #492
Account disabled at member's request

oh come on!

I just bought a soundcard board and now you have kits?

I guess future buyers will be happy
Old 31st March 2012, 07:24 AM   #493
AndrewL is offline AndrewL  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Too late for me too, but yes, speaking from experience it was a slog to get all of the bits from outside of the US, full credit to you Pete, nice one!
Old 31st March 2012, 01:42 PM   #494
diyAudio Member

Sorry about that guys!

I avoided doing this for a long time because, frankly, it's a pain in the behind. Lots of parts to buy, put them all in little bags, etc. And obviously I need to charge more than it costs me , so I was afraid the end cost would be too high and deter people from building it.

But I have it all set up now, so we'll see how it goes. I put together 5 kits and have had a lot of inquiries. If they disappear I'll kit up some more.

It does have me thinking... I wonder if there is demand for other kits. Like for power amps. I know there are a few out there, but most of them seem, well, not so great. Having grown up building Heathkits, I wonder if kitbuilding could be resurrected...

Maybe I should start a new thread on that?

Pete
Old 1st April 2012, 06:14 AM   #495
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmillett View Post
... I wonder if there is demand for other kits. Like for power amps. I know there are a few out there, but most of them seem, well, not so great. Having grown up building Heathkits, I wonder if kitbuilding could be resurrected...
Well, there IS a thread on here about the "resurrected" Heathkit, but I don't think there's been any activity for several months.

My unsubstantiated opinion is that yes, you probably COULD create a successful Heathkit-style business. The sales offerings will likely be a quickly-moving target based on discretionary and impulse purchases by gadget freaks and tinkerers, of rather fad-ish items. And a true Heathkit-style product isn't likely to be done by a couple of guys working out of a spare bedroom. Heathkits not only had some serious design (both electronic, and mechanical) behind them, but also some custom manufactured assemblies, extensive testing, and a LOT of effort to create the "Assembly Manual".

If "kit" means a box of parts, a schematic, and a silk-screened panel then probably the most successful vendors (Southwest Technical Products, Old Colony Labs, etc) have had affiliations with magazine publishers (Popular Electronics, Audio Amateur, Silicon Chip, etc).

Dale
Old 1st April 2012, 06:21 AM   #496
regal is offline regal  United States
diyAudio Member

I would buy a kit, this is one of those things that there isn't a market big enough to support manufacturing. Its a more powerful tool in many respects than most any scope, but its a project by fanatics, for fanatics
Old 1st April 2012, 08:02 AM   #497

I believe Pete is rather thinking of a "BOM to box" style kit. I think it would save a lot of time and trouble. I know for a fact that sourcing the material for Pete's projects can be around 70% more expensive in Europe than in the USA. Since Pete's projects are designed around specific parts (yes, they can be changed but it is something most inexperienced builders, like myself, don't do) it can happen than with taxes, fees, european prices, the BOM total is exceed by a fair amount. A single source of these parts, at US prices, plus whatever Pete feels is appropriate would be still be economically more convenient.

Also a great way for a beginner to get past the "sourcing" stage which is expensive and tedious and get right to the soldering.
Old 1st April 2012, 09:15 AM   #498
regal is offline regal  United States
diyAudio Member

Sounds good time is a premium, hope this happens, would be a great tool.
Old 1st April 2012, 01:33 PM   #499
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmillett View Post
Sorry about that guys!

I avoided doing this for a long time because, frankly, it's a pain in the behind. Lots of parts to buy, put them all in little bags, etc. And obviously I need to charge more than it costs me , so I was afraid the end cost would be too high and deter people from building it.

But I have it all set up now, so we'll see how it goes. I put together 5 kits and have had a lot of inquiries. If they disappear I'll kit up some more.

It does have me thinking... I wonder if there is demand for other kits. Like for power amps. I know there are a few out there, but most of them seem, well, not so great. Having grown up building Heathkits, I wonder if kitbuilding could be resurrected...

Maybe I should start a new thread on that?

Pete
I used to sell a kit amplifier based around the popular LM3886 called the Point Zero. It was a DC compensated design which set it apart from the competiton. I sold it with the heat sink and correct toroidal transformer which was difficult to source at that time so it was quite popular. It was extremely difficult to "kit up" enough parts to keep up with demands so I discontinued it after just 50 sets. It would require a small army to fulfill just one product...
Old 15th April 2012, 04:35 PM   #500

I received the kit. The quality of the packaging is really great. Everything is labeled nicely and safely. Thanks pete!

Inviato dal mio GT-I5800 usando Tapatalk

Hide this!Advertise here!