Test & Measurement interface for Soundcard - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th December 2009, 01:47 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

Just got my computer fixed. It had a toasted power supply and I don't even overclock. We did have a rare December thunderstorm yesterday and my TV antenna goes to my computer.

I saw this post and went immediately to Ebay. There were only 3 left, now there are 2.
Old 7th December 2009, 01:51 AM   #22
TheGimp is offline TheGimp  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks a lot!

One left as of now...

I thought I had blown up my SoundBlaster Live in the system in the shop by not using a resistor divider on the output of my amp with AudioTester when I first tried to set it up.

However, I changed to another sound card and get the same results, which is I see no change in the FFT when I unplug the cable from the line in (no active components, just a stereo cord from line in to line out).

Same configuration in the den and I see the first harmonic drop from -70dB to -110dB when I unplug the Line in plug (simple loopback with no active components).

Now I'm thinking I have something configured wrong in the shop.
Old 7th December 2009, 02:39 AM   #23
rknize is offline rknize  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to rknize Send a message via Yahoo to rknize
This happened to my power supply in my server a week or two ago.

It's was not a cheapo either...it was a nice $200 PC Power and Cooling unit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PSU PCB.jpg (62.9 KB, 1671 views)

Last edited by rknize; 7th December 2009 at 02:44 AM.
Old 7th December 2009, 02:57 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Fortunately I had a spare power supply. I am beginning to find more blown stuff. The TV antenna has proper lightning protection and is actually plugged into a HD Homerun unit which goes into my router. Both af them are fine.

The ham radio antenna coax runs through the same bundle of wires that many of the computer and TV wires go through. The radio was disconnected. and I was at work (yeah both Saturday and Sunday). I got home at about 5PM today and the PC wouldn't turn on. After fixing that I have discovered that one channel of my $39 2.1 PC audio system is dead, and a VCR in another room is dead. It was connected to cable TV.
Old 7th December 2009, 02:59 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

I bet that let the Majik Smoke out!

Looks like the Soudnblaster Live is indeed died. I tried another el-cheapo sound card I had in my computer drawer and it works after a Passion. At least the FFT shows some peaks, and they go away when I pull the stereo Line In plug. The SBlive card just shows floor noise at -90dB. No change when the Line In plug is pulled.

I'm replacing the PS in the son-in-law's computer. Here is what caused his problems...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Small_Computer_Filters_2.JPG (140.3 KB, 1671 views)
Old 7th December 2009, 03:36 AM   #26
rknize is offline rknize  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to rknize Send a message via Yahoo to rknize
Lightning can do weird things...jumping from one circuit to the next..blowning up some things and not others.

I'm not sure what caused the failure on this one. The exploded trace was after the rectifier. I have plenty of power supplies...just annoyed that it was one of the "good" ones.

Gimp...what's all the crud from? Doesn't look like normal dust.
Old 7th December 2009, 04:23 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Going like hot cakes.
Go Pete. I took the BOM over to Digikey, they are out of stock of the capacitors that are the DC blocking capacitors C2 and C3. Any recommendations for a capacitor that will work well and fit?
DT
All Just for fun!
Old 7th December 2009, 05:32 AM   #28
grufti is offline grufti  United States
wombat
diyAudio Member

Go Pete, and thank you! Sacramento seems to be your hot market at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DualTriode View Post
Going like hot cakes.
Go Pete. I took the BOM over to Digikey, they are out of stock of the capacitors that are the DC blocking capacitors C2 and C3. Any recommendations for a capacitor that will work well and fit?
DT
All Just for fun!
Old 7th December 2009, 01:20 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rknize View Post
Lightning can do weird things...jumping from one circuit to the next..blowning up some things and not others.

I'm not sure what caused the failure on this one. The exploded trace was after the rectifier. I have plenty of power supplies...just annoyed that it was one of the "good" ones.

Gimp...what's all the crud from? Doesn't look like normal dust.
SIL is a heavy smoker and smokes at the computer. My best guess is the tars from the smoke combined with all the dust in the air and really gunked up all the filters. His power supply looked just as bad inside. His computer booted up when I took the PS out of my computer and used it to test the system, so I ordered a new PS for it. I just hope he hasn't damaged anything on the motherboard due to heat buildup. New power supply should be in this week. adn I'll have to let it run for a day to see if everything else is ok.
Old 7th December 2009, 02:31 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DualTriode View Post
I took the BOM over to Digikey, they are out of stock of the capacitors that are the DC blocking capacitors C2 and C3. Any recommendations for a capacitor that will work well and fit?
You could use a Panasonic part from Digi-Key, EF4105-ND. Or a CDE DME4W1K from Mouser. Or you may find others... pretty much any 1uF 400V film cap that has a 22.5mm lead spacing will work.

Pete

Hide this!Advertise here!