• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

where to find cool vol control knobs?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking for cool looking vol control knobs for my simple se.
I would prefer chrome, aluminum would be adequate.
I think I'll use a guitar knob (there are some nice looking ones) for the cathode selector switch, but too small for a volume control.
I've seen some of your diy pictures, and some have real cool looking knobs. All I can find are kind of cheap looking.
Thanks

Attachments

• DSC04228R.jpg
    DSC04228R.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 1,172
Digikey, Mouser, and Mcmaster-Carr have loads of knobs in plastic, aluminum, etc. A few months ago I stumbled across a Hong Kong website that had lots of very sexy knobs in varying sizes in aluminum (clear and champagne finish), exotic wood knobs, etc for very reasonable $$. I cannot seem to find the site at the moment though...:eek: I recall that it had a black background on the web pages.

edit: here are some additional knobs: http://www.thlaudio.com/indexE.htm

a few more...http://www.8audio-mall.com/servlet/the-DIY-Audio-cln-Chassis-&-Casing/Categories

Last edited:
hey-Hey!!!,
Old equipment is my source. The TEK 571 has some nice ones in a variety of sizes...and hunting through the vintage electronics pages on ebay will yeild many nice options IMO. Buy the piece and ask the seller to pull the knobs and leave him to re-auction it...:)
cheers,
Douglas

A few months ago I stumbled across a Hong Kong website that had lots of very sexy knobs in varying sizes in aluminum (clear and champagne finish), exotic wood knobs, etc for very reasonable $$. I cannot seem to find the site at the moment though...:eek: I recall that it had a black background on the web pages.

Probably VT4C.com I purchased some of their KB-AL25 knobs and they are very nice.

Mark

A friend brought over his bass guitar for service once, and it was missing its knobs. We found a couple knobs from a kitchen stove that fit, and stuck them on. He decided to leave them on it. Now his volume goes from high to medium to low, and of course "simmer."

Reviving an old thread here I know! What seems to be in seriously short supply is knobs WITHOUT position indicators, for our projects using endless rotary encoders.

I found this a while ago which at least appears not to have a dot or a line (although the black version does, curiously):

1pcs Diameter 38mm aluminum knob (Straw hat type)

but the shaft diameter must be 6mm, my encoder is 1/4"! I'm not sure how good my chances are of enlarging it without getting it on a skew.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.