• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Akikido LSA/HPA 9-Pin or Akikido Octal which one?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Akikido LSA/HPA 9-Pin or Akikido Octal which one?

If you were going to build a preamp and these two were your only choices, which one would you build?

I'm thinking of building both, but like some opinions especially from those that have built either or both. Unit would be used with a CD player, am/fm tuner, and maybe a tape deck.

I'm leaning toward the octal, mainly because I have some 6SN7 tubes.

Attachments

• glass-ware_2078_931357.gif
    glass-ware_2078_931357.gif
    95.2 KB · Views: 588
  • glass-ware_2081_5839148.gif
    glass-ware_2081_5839148.gif
    56.2 KB · Views: 572
I love my Aikido equipped with 6CG7 (9-pin). I'm sure the octal version with 6SN7 would sound good, too.

A lot of people - the octal elites - would say the 6SN7 is better than the 6CG7. I can't argue either way. Broskie from TCJ thinks this way, and I tend to respect his opinion. I happen to like the 6CG7. I've learned how to use it properly. You can also try the 12AU7 from several different makers, which has similar properties (gain) but some people don't like the sound. (I'll be first in line for a Blackburn 12AU7. The octal folks should be jealous.)

Besides, the 9-pin version allows you to "tube roll" like crazy. Especially the output set (second stage) of the Aikido allows for endless tinkering.

I heard a version of the Aikido using 9pin ECC86, which is fairly low on the overall tube pecking order, been opomised for 12V on the plate. Brilliant sounding. It matched/bettered my own version of the FVP5 which was running at over 350V.
My point is that the circuit seems to be so good that its almost immaterial what valves you actually use. I would attribute the difference in my preamp and the ECC86 Aikido more to the fact that I am using a really crappy plastic volume pot - which was degrading the performance of my preamp far more than the difference in tubes. So I would build it with whatever is easily at hand and which offers the most scope for tube rolling - which unfortunately points towards 9pin.

Shoog

6cg7 or 6sn7 are electrical the same tube

True, they have the same electrical specs. However, just as an EH6CG7 and RCA6CG7 sound different, the 6SN7 also sounds different. The octal elites usually refer to the 6SN7 always sounding better. I haven't found that to be true, although I've never tried a $300 NOS RCA Redbase 6SN7GT from a rare stockpile ...

tube rolling - which unfortunately points towards 9pin

Why is that unfortunate? (unless you have some rare NOS octals) For new tubes, 9-pins sound just as good. The 9-pin technology is also improving, as evidenced by Blackburn.

the circuit seems to be so good that its almost immaterial what valves you actually use

Yes, in a way. The circuit is so good, it makes good tubes sound like great tubes. Great tubes sound even better. It "raises the bar".

Now that they're finally in stock, I see that the tube selection for the Octal line Preamp kit is different. The input tube can be 6SN7, but the output tube is 12SX7. Can I still use my (4) Sylvania 6SN7GTB for the input and output tubes?

Is there an audible difference in the All-in-one vs Dual mono with custom PSU and a CLC filter?

I built a 9 pin Aikido from Bas board and I use 6FQ7/5687's and I built a 6SN7/6SN7 point to point Aikido. I have found that the 6SN7/6SN7 is more laid back. The 6SN7/6SN7 is a winner when using the Russian 1578 tubes. The Russian 1578 clearly blows the Red October 5692 to the curb in my opinion.
The Aikido 6FQ7/6CG7::5687 is a very strong performer and will lend itself to tube rolling with different gain tubes such as the 6DJ8,6922, and 6N1P just to same a few. Just to be safe build them both.

Have you tried 6CG7/6CG7? That's what I'm running now.

Got some clear tops, Ei, and EH. I think the V1 position is the most sensitive.

I have found that the 6SN7/6SN7 is more laid back.

You think your point-to-point has anything to do with it? I used to worry about PCB influence on sound ... too much other stuff to worry about ... so I bought a bunch of TCJ Aikido boards.

Last edited:
I think I'm going the 6CG7/6H30Pi way for a friend.
Anyone happens to have the user guide for the LSA/HPA All-In-One board?
I wanna read up on the power supply section since I found an interesting transformer over at Dantimax (Secondaries: 2*200V 150mA, 6.3V 3A and 12.6V 1.5A) and wanted to check if it's gonna be enough (both current-wise and to get 250V B+) for the aforementioned tube combo.

Btw, any suggestions concerning which coupling capacitors to choose from the ones offered along with the kit (RTI, NOS PIO, Dayton or Wima) would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.