Suppo Audio -- New Chinese EL84 PP amp for CHEAP. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th November 2009, 11:32 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Suppo Audio -- New Chinese EL84 PP amp for CHEAP.

So I'm diving into the EL84 PP world with the following:

Suppo Model Ruihui Co.| rc model manufacturer| model aircraft manufacturer|rc airplane model manufacturer| model brushless motor manufacturer|outrunner Brushless Motor manufacturer|brushless motor speed controller factory| brushless motor speed contr

For the price of this little guy, I don't think I'm risking much. It's not here yet, but the pictures on the website look like it might be fertile ground for some DIY modding. I'd love to hear people's thoughts on this thing.

The website says there is a lot of flexibility in the tube complement so I'm trying some of the "odd balls." I just ordered a stack of NOS Russian tubes from ebay (cut and pasted below):
6P15P-EV = EL83 = SV83
6P14P-ER = 7189 = 6BQ5 = EL84M
6N23P-EV = 6N23P-EB = E88CC = 6DJ8
6N1P-EB = E88CC = 6DJ8 = 6922

I've got some nice NOS Westinghouse 6922's to try up front as well. In addition, I've also been recommended some NOS Sylvania blackplate EL84's but I got skunked on the last couple pairs I bid on. I'd love to try some of the 6BQ7 or 6CG7 that the website says will work in this amp.

So, it looks like the Russians and the Chinese are invading my home and I'm pretty excited to see how everything stacks up to my very nearly completed Tubelab Simple SE. I've been dragging on that little baby (actually with all the jumbo Edcor iron I think its going to come in at 50-60 lbs with the chassis) but I'm getting close!

I know several other people here have purchased this amp as well so hopefully we'll got some good ideas flowing. Hopefully we've found a little gem!

P.S. Most of those tubes I bought came in big lots so if anyone's looking to try some, shoot me a PM. If anyone else has some "odd" tubes they think would work in this amp, I'd love to trade so we can both try something new.
Old 15th November 2009, 01:53 PM   #2
Brit01 is offline Brit01  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I'm just amazed at the price. Even if you use it for the parts its a great deal - nichi caps, transformers, sockets, plugs etc.

Go for it and let us know how it sounds.
I've got a couple of 6CG7 GE's NOS and think they sound great (and looks).

Wish I could get that shipped down here to Uruguay (restricted customs)
Old 15th November 2009, 03:26 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I imagine you get what you pay for.

Two things to consider: 1) An amp is only as good as the OTs. How do they look to you? 2) You will probably want/need to mod some things and that could be difficult. I find PCB circuits to be difficult to alter compared to PTP. You may feel differently.

On the happy side of the street, that's not alot of cash to gamble.

Sorry for the negative waves. It's early, coffee's still brewing.
Old 15th November 2009, 03:30 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

not only are the transformers a hindrance, the circuit design too. Changing for better partrs does not always help that much with a lot of these Chinese amps. I now stay well away from most of them. But you might still find a gem
Old 15th November 2009, 03:34 PM   #5
john65b is offline john65b  United States
diyAudio Member

I have one on its way too. Should be arriving in a few days...
Old 15th November 2009, 10:53 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captn Dave View Post
I imagine you get what you pay for.

Two things to consider: 1) An amp is only as good as the OTs. How do they look to you? 2) You will probably want/need to mod some things and that could be difficult. I find PCB circuits to be difficult to alter compared to PTP. You may feel differently.

On the happy side of the street, that's not alot of cash to gamble.

Sorry for the negative waves. It's early, coffee's still brewing.
No problem on the negative waves... I understand mornings!

I have to say though, I think that one of the reasons many of us have gravitated to DIY in the first place is that often you don't get what you pay for. I mean, maybe its just me but when I see some SET amps going for 70 grand... am I really getting what I'm paying for?

Now, I'm not saying I expect this little guy to take over the world, but who knows? I'm imagining it won't be trash (not that you said it would be )

I've lived and/or worked in China for several years now and they are really get quite good at building a lot of stuff. It wasn't always that way, but "times... they are a changing."

Anyway, for very little money companies like Suppo Audio are providing ways for many more people to try out various flavors of tube audio. Seeing as how I haven't even heard the thing yet I don't want to sing its praises, but I have high hopes! With people loving products like the Miniwatt its not totally out of the question.
Old 15th November 2009, 11:01 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Oh yes, I just requested the schematic for this amp as well so hopefully that will get everyone's creative juices flowing in regards to mods/upgrades.
Old 15th November 2009, 11:10 PM   #8
lowpoke is offline lowpoke  Australia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to lowpoke
Damn, these look pretty sweet for the money, even shipped to Australia. Please post a review after you've had time to evaluate!
Old 15th November 2009, 11:56 PM   #9
mrevie is offline mrevie  Australia
diyAudio Member

Got one on the way as well. Received my first one, looked good but was unfortunately damaged in shipping with only one channel operational. Will be posting a review when the second arrives.

Joe from Suppo was unbelievably helpful with the damaged amplifier and after realising parts would need to be sent for it to be fixed is sending an entirely new amplifier.

Steve.
Old 16th November 2009, 07:50 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Suppo Audio was kind enough to send the schematic for this amp and is most open to hearing what the DIY community has to say on ways to improve its design. I can't figure out a way to edit/attach it to my first post, but here it is. They also have some hi-res pictures on there website of the interior of this amp.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Suppo Audio EL84 Schematic.jpg (372.3 KB, 5036 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!