• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

1.5VDC Heater Supply For #26!?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am a newbie ... don't laugh ya ! :confused:

OK ... wish to build a #26 linestage but having problem getting the 1.5VDC required for the #26 tube!

Built Chris Brady's design : 5VAC~Schottky bridge~10K uf~0.47R~10K uf~LM1086~1.2R . I got 4.7VDC !? From here, how do I acheives the 1.5VDC@1A needed for the Type 26 tube?

Thanks for looking & any help forecoming,

Zekk

I am a newbie ... don't laugh ya ! :confused:

OK ... wish to build a #26 linestage but having problem getting the 1.5VDC required for the #26 tube!

Built Chris Brady's design : 5VAC~Schottky bridge~10K uf~0.47R~10K uf~LM1086~1.2R . I got 4.7VDC !? From here, how do I acheives the 1.5VDC@1A needed for the Type 26 tube?

Thanks for looking & any help forecoming,

Zekk

Hey.

Don't know about this design, but you mention the 1.2R resistor, and therefore I think the LM1086 is configured as a CCS (the 1.2R between adjust and output, and the tube filament fed from 'adj'). This means that the regulator will pass only 1A, which multiplied by the Resistance of the 26's cathode will develop 1,5V. Prior to testing that, just post the schematic!

Erik

In principle that should work, with LM1086 as current source. that means 1.2R between adj and out pins. Be careful to take the output from the adjust pin!! This may be where you are going wrong.

To make sure you have enough headroom, just try taking the capacitor straight to the LM1086 input. you need about 4.5v going into the LM1086. I use a 6v secondary. But I suspect you've wired the LM1086 wrong, as above.

andy

If that is a CCS filament supply you cannot measure the voltage at its output with no load. If you want to measure voltage, you need to put a stable load there (i.e. tube filament, but wait with your measurement until it is heated up to its working temperature as the readings will change along with its resistance, which changes with temperature). If you're worried about your tube you can use a 1.5R 2+W (!) resistor instead.

LM1086 is a low-dropout regulator so it only needs ~1.5V voltage above the desired output, which would explain your high voltage measurement (4.7V) with open terminals.

By the way, make sure your LM1086 has some sort of cooling (= a suitable heatsink) as it is going to dissipate approximately 5 watts during operation.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.