Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st November 2009, 02:53 PM   #1
Jaap is offline Jaap  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default Powerdrive for PP amp with local feedback and pentode driver ?

I plan to build a push pull amp with 807 and 6CB6 tubes with local feedback (see picture, from Glass Audio).
As I have some 2SK2700 lying around I wonder if it could be useful to add the powerdrive concept to this design ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg el34_6cb6a.jpg (56.1 KB, 343 views)
Old 1st November 2009, 06:27 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I've thought of adding a power drive or equivalent circuit to my 1624 local feedback amplifier to allow A2 operation. It should work as long as the input capacitance of the buffer is kept very low. I'm going to give it a shot using the amplifier version of the self bias CCS circuit used as a follower.
Old 1st November 2009, 08:00 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary P View Post
I've thought of adding a power drive or equivalent circuit to my 1624 local feedback amplifier to allow A2 operation. It should work as long as the input capacitance of the buffer is kept very low. I'm going to give it a shot using the amplifier version of the self bias CCS circuit used as a follower.
I am sure that a lot of fellows here are interested in how this update of the Tabor works out. Keep us informed
Old 1st November 2009, 08:15 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

You could always use a triode/pentode combo and use the triode as a follower. This would give you some AB2 capability, just not in full-tilt "George" style...
This is what I'm doing for my "Kingfisher P-P amp, and it still seems sufficient to drive the snot out of the 7591As.
Old 5th November 2009, 09:28 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenchone View Post
You could always use a triode/pentode combo and use the triode as a follower. This would give you some AB2 capability, just not in full-tilt "George" style...
This is what I'm doing for my "Kingfisher P-P amp, and it still seems sufficient to drive the snot out of the 7591As.
Adding another triode-follower to the 6CB6 gives the opportunity to make it a SLCF a la Rasmussen.
Experts, would this choice be suitable on this place ?
Old 5th November 2009, 09:58 AM   #6
Yvesm is online now Yvesm  France
diyAudio Member

You may find some inspiration here:
6L6 Push Pull

Should go with 807 as well.

However, I was unable to apply local NFB without experiencing hi frequency instability issues, perhaps too capacitive FB resistors ? ?
Could be a good idea to use multiple resistor in serie because they have very large voltage accross them . . .

Yves.

Hide this!Advertise here!