simple hybrid idea - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st May 2003, 04:32 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Do you know how much gm you are expecting, and thus how much gain? AC balance might not be a problem...
Honestly, no. In my simulation of it I am able to drive the circuit above with 1V p-p and get full output. The output stage is basically taken straight from the RCA databook.
I could always match the differential mosfets and used matched output tubes... maybe then it would be alright?
Old 21st May 2003, 04:41 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Default The input that needs current...

Quote:
I wonder what the input capacitance of your gain stage looks like?
Yes the input capacitance will be great...the gate source capacitance of the mosfet +the Miller capacitance ( the gate drain capacitance X the gain of the stage)...it will need some driving current in the high frequencys...

Mosfets are not my choice for input devices...

cheers
Old 21st May 2003, 04:42 PM   #13
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

At maximum output, one output valve has its grid at 0V (a -17.5V swing) and the other at 35V (a +17.5V swing). Thus, there is 35Vpk-pk between the outputs of your driver stage. If there is 1Vpk-pk going in, then you have a gain of 35, and since Av = gmRL, that suggests gm = 35mA/V for the MOSFETs. It probably would be worth matching the MOSFETs, as they are notorious for device variation.
Old 21st May 2003, 05:06 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Default The gain issue...

Quote:
Thus, there is 35Vpk-pk between the outputs of your driver stage. If there is 1Vpk-pk going in, then you have a gain of 35, and since Av = gmRL, that suggests gm = 35mA/V for the MOSFETs.
The gain can't be 35 because the degeneration source resistors...1k/100=10...and with the pot in series with the source resistors the gain will be even less...
Old 21st May 2003, 05:08 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Default Re: The input that needs current...

Quote:
Originally posted by Tube_Dude

Yes the input capacitance will be great...the gate source capacitance of the mosfet +the Miller capacitance ( the gate drain capacitance X the gain of the stage)...it will need some driving current in the high frequencys...

Mosfets are not my choice for input devices...

cheers
I don't see the problem, unless you are using a tube preamp with a fairly high output impedance. The P-channel differential pair is used in all the Pass Aleph amps with no problems, so...???
I understand that a lot of you tube guys like to use all tubes, so it could be an issue.
I will most likely be using it with a zen balanced line stage, which will drive it with no problems.
So, then (I ask myself) why use tubes? It's different. I haven't seen anybody doing it this way. Maybe there's a reason for that, haha. I'm going to give it a go anyway.
Thanks for all the help

Steve
Old 21st May 2003, 05:12 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Default Re: The gain issue...

Quote:

The gain can't be 35 because the degeneration source resistors...1k/100=10...and with the pot in series with the source resistors the gain will be even less...
yeah, you're exactly right! I forgot to look at that when I added the balancing circuit.
Old 21st May 2003, 05:15 PM   #17
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Default Re: The gain issue...

Quote:
Good point. The simulation that gave the 1V sensitivity must have been run before the 100R source resistors were included. Still, the degeneration will reduce the Miller capacitance, which is handy.
Old 21st May 2003, 05:30 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

how about this...
it gives a bias voltage difference of +/- 3.68, and the sensitivity is reduced in half to 2Vp-p for 37V grid-grid (Vpeak) out.

a good compromise?

I'm not sure how much of a voltage difference the output stage would need to see to compensate for imbalance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pmos-6l6-rev3.jpg (28.0 KB, 155 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!