Ming Da MC-3008-A2 Mono Blocks - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th October 2009, 03:05 AM   #1
88man is offline 88man  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Ming Da MC-3008-A2 Mono Blocks

Very curious, can anyone comment on the sound and quality of the Ming Da MC-3008-A2 40W Mono Blocks from Pacific Valve?...

I can't find any reviews. The tube topology is (2)12AX7, (2)12AU7, (2)300B, (2)805 tubes. I don't have a schematic, but is it a good design with decent OPT?...

I am going to run it as a integrated amp with a Cambridge Audio CDP 640v2. Speakers are Paradigm S40 v3.

Thanks Guys!
Old 1st March 2011, 06:50 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88man View Post
Very curious, can anyone comment on the sound and quality of the Ming Da MC-3008-A2 40W Mono Blocks from Pacific Valve?...

I can't find any reviews. The tube topology is (2)12AX7, (2)12AU7, (2)300B, (2)805 tubes. I don't have a schematic, but is it a good design with decent OPT?...

I am going to run it as a integrated amp with a Cambridge Audio CDP 640v2. Speakers are Paradigm S40 v3.

Thanks Guys!
Hello,
If you still want info about this amp Lampizator site have a nice review about this SET, scroll down the page:
ming-da

I also like this Ming-DA 805 SET looks a great amp, lots of potential for good sound.
I got this information in contact with Mr.Lukasz:
1- What security protection this amp have(B+ fuses, micro process etc)??
No B+ fuse, no micro. It is basic.
2- This amp are zero neg.feedback or use alot of NFB ??
It has some feedback, I dont know how much but in my opinion it is not necessary at all.
3- What is the Net Weight of this monoblock ??
I dont know but maybe USA quotes gross with packing.They are heavy, I think 25 not 30 Kilos.
I would use 300B from Electro Harmonic Gold series (russia). Best bang for the buck.
The 805's are good tubes. It is VERY good value amp and it is very well made. First class really/.
Lukasz

I got this information in contact with the Ming-Da lady:
1- The heating of the four tubes are AC or DC?
.. The heating for 805: DC, 300B or 2A3C: DC, 12AX7 and 12AU7: AC.
2- How is the BIAS adjustment of the 300B and 805 tubes??
.. You can use a multimeter to contact the 1 ohm/5W resistor near 805 tube and then
adjust the 33K adjustable resistor to make the multimeter to show 0.1Volt
3- This amp are zero NegativeFeedback? Or how much NFB it has?
.. There is Negative Feedback and the NFB could only be known after it is tested.
4- The site index - Pacific Valve are your authorized dealer??
.. Yes, Pacificvalve is our authorized dealer and you won't get a fake one from him.
5- On a PacificValve YouTube.com video the 805 cathode start emit light instantly after
power on, in a clear lighted room. I wonder If this amp has soft start?
.. Yes, the amp has soft start.
6- PacificValve say the MC3008(2A version) they sell are a special and better version for the US market.
This is true??
.. MC3008-A is already very good.
7- This MingDA MC3008A amp is a safe amp when a tube fail on the fly?
.. It is safe. If there is something wrong with the tubes, the biggest problem is no sound from amp.
The amp will not burn you.
8- Iam ask it because I was told this amp have no one security on all the tubes, nor B+ fuses,
no Short-Circuit fuses, no micro-processed monitoring etc... Do you confirm this?
.. The fuse in the power plug will disconnect the machine by itself if a short-cut happens in the amp.
When the amplifier is working, please do not leave for a long time and there should be no combustible
goods near the amp.
9- If the amp had no security, I wonder if I can order it with some safe guards as B+ fuses, soft start etc??
.. Yes, they can be installed.
As I said above, if you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.
MC3008-A is fantastic. Maybe you can have a try.

I wish say a very special thanks to Mr.Lucasz Fikus and Ms.Suena from Ming-Da factory who kindly take time to send me this very detailed infos.
Gustavo
Old 2nd March 2011, 02:07 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thank you, FullRangeMan! Very detailed response and great information regarding the Mingda MC 3008-A amp.
Old 4th March 2011, 04:26 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

A friend informed me that the PacificValve version (2A) of this amp, have DC heating on all tubes, and others improvements we are unaware.
Gustavo
Old 9th June 2011, 03:57 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

There is a new version of this nice amp on the USA distributor PacificValve:
Pacific Valve & Electric Company Ming Da MC 3008B Mono Blocks
It have new circuits, Mundorf and Jensen capacitors, etc... and the price has not increased ( a rare feature).
This new model are named MC3008-B
Old 16th April 2015, 07:41 AM   #6
Legis is offline Legis  Finland
diyAudio Member

I recently bought the 2012 version of the amps (stainless steel chassis, not aluminum). I like them. The amps feels solid and sounds very good with stock tubes and without any mods. 300B + 805/FU5 is very musical and dynamic combination.

The amps were packed good and the bigger tubes and the tube covers came in a separate box.

I received FU-5 + Jinvina 300B tubes. There was no information regarding the 12AX7/12AU7 tubes which way they should inserted (which one goes to left/right socket), at least in a language I understand.

The polymer capacitors inside are mainly Jinvina brand also, which is Mingda's own brand.

Mingda also makes the OPT's (and power transformers) they use. I read somewhere the core material is advertised to be imported from Japan.

The power transformer is relatively quiet but not totally silent in my electricity line. It might be partially potted since I could not remove the cover. It's top also sounds "full" when I knock it, but the sides do not, which might hint that the trafo is partially potted. If one wishes one could fully pot it by pouring in more epoxy from the hole where the wires go inside the amp. I'm considering it, I cannot remove the cover anyway so no harm potting it fully. By the way, what do you guys think about using "basic" (normally thermally conductive, not super conductive) epoxy in potting, does it raise the power transformers temperature compared to partial potting? Or lower it?

The OPT's cover was not just for the looks, the OPT is an almost tight fit inside the cover! It's core's dimensions are (W*H*D) 11,5*10*7cm, quite a big fella. The windings are impregnated and the core/everything is wholly covered in an epoxy layer. It feels very solid and heavy. The amp is quite back-heavy when you lift it since propably 70-80% of the ~25kg mass (have not measured) comes from the transformers.

Some cap mods are propably coming at some point in the most critical spots. I might bypass the global negative feedback loop also or put it behind a switch. I'm interested to hear how they sound then based on Lampizator's comments. I feel the base is very good to do slight modding. Point to point layout is superb, easy to change components.

edit. The amp also supports the non-capped 805 tubes also as stock. The "pearl string" is connected directly to the tube socket pin.

Some pictures:

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by Legis; 16th April 2015 at 07:55 AM.
Old 16th April 2015, 04:12 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thanks for posting, very nice fotos.
I suggest you disconect the output power VU meter a non audiophile device.
I also suggest you dont complete the level of the power trafo pot.

The new epoxy material may not combined and unite with the epoxy already put by the factory and it can even not be epoxy.
A new placement of epoxi also can not be good by the internal trafo wiring.
It also will change the resonance freq of the trafo vibrations.

Fact is that the MingDa OPTs have very good sound quality.
They managed to make a very good sound OPT with a unusual lamination steel.
The factory site inform the trafos use Z11 and H18 lamination.
Old 16th April 2015, 05:16 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Legis aND FullRangeMan, Wonderful photosand information!
Legis, where did you buy the MC-3008 A2? Pacific Valve looks like it's out of business?
Old 17th April 2015, 05:05 AM   #9
Legis is offline Legis  Finland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullRangeMan View Post
Thanks for posting, very nice fotos.
I suggest you disconect the output power VU meter a non audiophile device.
I also suggest you dont complete the level of the power trafo pot.

The new epoxy material may not combined and unite with the epoxy already put by the factory and it can even not be epoxy.
A new placement of epoxi also can not be good by the internal trafo wiring.
It also will change the resonance freq of the trafo vibrations.

Fact is that the MingDa OPTs have very good sound quality.
They managed to make a very good sound OPT with a unusual lamination steel.
The factory site inform the trafos use Z11 and H18 lamination.
I will propably leave the power trafos as is. Audiophile or not, I like the looks VU meters . At least for now. I have not decided yet what mods i will make. I tried disabling the negative feedback loop (which seems to be approx. 10dB since the gain increased ~that much). I will have to think about removing the first tube or increasing the local feedback around the 805 to make the gain more acceptable when the feedback is disabled. Maybe increasing local feedback would be better since the output impedance is propably very high based on the frequency response differences (in acoustic domain) I measured.

Somebody have an idea for the local negative feecback around the 805? 5-100k ohm resistor from OPT's 8ohm tap to cathode of the 805?

Quote:
Legis, where did you buy the MC-3008 A2? Pacific Valve looks like it's out of business?
I bought them directly from China . They are the regular MC3008-A, not A2. I don't the differences between A and A2.

Last edited by Legis; 17th April 2015 at 05:10 AM.
Old 17th April 2015, 04:46 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
88Man,
You can buy direct from the factory, afew weeks ago Ms.Suena had a special price for the 211 amp with this same chassis.
Although they dont accept Paypal, just bank account deposit.

LEGIS:
I cant wait for your impressions after these mods.
Good luck.

Last edited by FullRangeMan; 17th April 2015 at 05:04 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!